Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Going to Mammoth Lakes this weekend. Anyone got any tips or advice.

Default Going to Mammoth Lakes this weekend. Anyone got any tips or advice.

Anyone can guide me or give me some tips on catching trout in Mammoth? This is my first time fishing here. Anything will be helpful and much appreciated. Oh I forgot to mention I will be fishing from shore. Thanks Again
    Last edited by Kangry135; 08-08-2014 at 01:50 PM.

If you want all the fish you can handle fish upper twin lake and rent a row boat and throw thomas bouyants and mini jigs, you will literally hook up on every cast! Power bait if you cant handle the jig or lure fishing. Convict creek is great for creek fishing and if you walk to the very back of convict lake you can do really well also, mammoth creek is a fun creek to fish also but by far the most productive place is going to be upper twin lake. Let me know how you do!

micetails work and crawlers will serve you well up there too. Like BigFish suggested, Convict and Twins are a must go. I also would do the June Lake Loops and Pleasant Valley Reservoir.

Thanks for the info. A buddy of mine told me to check out Lake Mary so we rented a boat for the morning. Will try to make it to Twin Lakes if we have enough time. Any suggestions on depth and fishing methods?

I will be tossing jigs but gonna set up rigs for girlfriend who has never gone. I bought plenty of powerbait but never used the stuff before.
    Last edited by Kangry135; 08-08-2014 at 04:54 PM.

If ur fishing Lake Mary from shore try the shoreline just right of the Pokonobee Marina. Fish from the last bench area. Inflated night crawlers on a 24 inch leader will produce fish most of the time. The key is to be able to cast a far so you can be in the channel area.

Here is an update to the weekend. We caught 6 rainbows, all pretty small. All on pink Powerbait and in the deepest part of the lake. I believe the trout were holding at around 30-40 feet. I did try throwing some jigs but couldn't really get something going since the two people I was fishing with total newbies. HAHA But all in all had a great weekend. Thanks for the all tips.

I'm just wondering if when you mean to the right of the Kokonobee Marina ... you mean to the right as you're looking out towards the lake ... or looking in towards the Marina.