Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Any good fishing in Ventura or Oxnard area with a boat?

Default Any good fishing in Ventura or Oxnard area with a boat?

So I'm looking to go out and fish in Ventura or Oxnard area with a 20ft crestliner sportfish it's a deep v aluminum boat with a yamaha 115 fours stroke motor. Will you recommend I stay local and fish kelp beds and flats or is it safe to go to the islands. Or how far do you think is safe? I've never taken this boat out to sea so it will be a first. Any suggestions or tips on fishing locations would be awesome.

Launched from Oxnard, went south along coast. Maybe 5-10 miles found some great kelp along the way and fishing was open! Moved a little deeper found some rock and was good on lings and rockfish

You should launch in SD, Dana Pt or Oside. Yellowtails, Yellowfin Tuna, Dorado are all close in.
    DR

you better make sure you are ready to go to the island. i recommend a vhf radio, gps and boat u.s. membership. minimum. shake that boat down. make sure you have all you safety gear.
    anacapa is only about 9 miles from channel islands harbor. the inshore around ventura is mostly flat and sandy. i have only found a couple of spots that produce fish. i'll be fishing local from ventura this sunday. i might even have my bait tank hooked up.
    good luck
    stay safe

Billy, my boat does have a VHF radio I just don't know what channel to put it in? I also have the gps and all
    Saftey gear just don't know if I should make the anacapa trip on first outing. I'll stay local maybe go from Oxnard south to Malibu and back. The good thing is my lowrance fish finder has the insight USA map with pre-installed fishing icon areas of good fishing around those areas. So we'll see.

if your radio doesnt have scan then leave it on 16. my radio comes on on low power. if you need help turn to hi power. low power is 1 watt. hi is whatever your radio is rated. if you are going to go out often you must consider boat us. i pay $140. a year for boat and trailer.
    make sure your batteries are good and charged. run your boat at home.i make sure it pees well and change the lower end oil every season.
    the coast guard auxilliary said i needed flares. i didnt know that.
    make sure you have fire extinguisher and life jackets, whistle or horn. bilge pump and backup system(bucket),paddle.
    i probably forgot something so check the coast guard auxilliary online.

Billy, I have all the above mentioned except for the paddle but I do have a new trolling motor 24 volt with new batteries. I'll look at the coast guard website thanks for that and thanks for the info on the radio as well. What do you usually catch out in ventura coastline?

Pitas point , rincon, arco island all decent spots, but all hit and miss. Go south and get in on the palagics

i have a spot near oxnard that holds lings cabezon,brown and blue rockfish, calico and sand bass. besides that i have only caught sand dabs. i got a wsb last year.
    i have gotten a few lings at the gap also.