Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 8/3 trolling at castaic with the in law

Default 8/3 trolling at castaic with the in law

My father in law has never fished with me and we planned a tuna trip for next week.

I thought it would be good to get his feet wet first and understand some of the basics of fishing by taking him to castaic to get on some stripers.

Got to castaic around 9am and launched. The goal was to troll for stripers and if the bite slowed, swap to bait. The first 2 hours of trolling, was really exploratory for me. I haven't been to castaic in over 6 months so it was like a new lake. All my old spots were gone and in place, many new islands and jetties. It was surprising to see all the submerged trees as well. The morning started slow as we picked off 2 stripers, one small and one nice grade.

Then worked our way and picked up a few more by noon. Saw TO, said hello and decided to take a quick break and anchor up. My troll master controller was acting up, so i wanted to see if i could fix it. I re did the wiring and still wouldn't work so i think i need a new servo.

Had a burger and decided to troll with my main motor, which is just a bit louder to deal with. Hit the waters and the bite really picked up. It took us much longer than TO, but we finished our limits and called it a day at 5pm. It was a great day on the water with my father in law, and the smile on his face was priceless, pulling in one fish after another. I think he's hooked into fishing now.

Nothing out of the norm for this report.

The main thing i wanted to ask those who fish at castaic, is that many of the stripers i pulled up, were missing scales in sections and it was very red. It looked almost like the stripers were sick. At first i thought maybe it rubbed itself on the floor, but many stripers came up with the same issue.

One of the stripers looked to have 1 or 2 worms on its body.

Has anyone noticed this? If so, what is causing it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by flyhigh123; 08-04-2014 at 03:23 PM.

I was on the boat with TO and saw you yesterday, and none of our fish looked ill, and over the past several months all of the fish looked healthy, and actually they looked a little fatter yesterday, and will cleaning them, most had plenty of food in them.............Dave

Nice job on the slay with your father in-law.

I haven't noticed any problems with the striper we've been catching. Could something on your rigs be tearing them up? Pics might help explain what's going on.

WTG Flyhigh,,,,,,,,,,,,props on getting the fath in law on some stripes!

TRAIL BLAZER

How do you post pictures to this forum from the phone. So frustrating.

Uploaded pics to flickr, no way to put it here.

I wish it took tapatalk or easier way to post.
    Last edited by flyhigh123; 08-04-2014 at 06:32 PM.

I copy the IMG code from photobucket and paste it here.

NICE SEEING YOU ON THE WATER RYAN......................bob..........