Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Covers

Default Boat Covers

For the 2nd straight year, I'm in the process of returning a Cabela's boat cover which has a 6 year warranty. These are a 600 denier polyester construction, but the AV summers tend to disenegrate the tie down straps & stitching (i keep the boat outdoors). Suggestions??????

I've tried a number of different makers and styles. None would last more than a year and a half in our inland valley summers. Ended up just getting a cheap tarp from Harbor freight once a year. Now I park the boat in the garage and the truck takes the sun.

If you want a boat cover that will last it MUST be made of Sunbrella or Sunbrella Supreme marine fabric, the seams MUST be double lock stitched, the thread MUST be size 12 minimum and polyester or Gortex thread, the straps or rope MUST be polyester. Cheaper cover makers will use nylon thread and polypropylene webbing and rope. The best covers are custom made to your boat with reinforcements at wear points. Expect to pay $600 to $1500 for this type of cover depending on boat size and style. My custom cover was just under $1000 and is also made for towing.

Yup this is why I just paid $12 for a new tarp each year. You can keep your boat covered for 50 years at that price or pay $600 for a custom cover.

$1000 for a cover...yikes!! All I have is a 17' aluminum bass type boat. My house has a RV pad & I just park it there. I could put it in the garage, but I want to keep my work area..

Just checked and they went up a little since I bought mine.

http://www.basscatstore.com/dustcover-1.aspx

The day before this posting began, I ordered a VortexDirect cover through EBay. I got the cover yesterday (8/15/14). I needed a cover for a Valco I am going to leave at out place in Winterhaven (aka Yuma, Az). I cannot say how what I got compares to a Sumbrella, but I can compare it the expensive "Nitro" cover on my bass boat..

The new cover's material is not canvas like the Nitro, but what it is made of seems reasonable; like the Nitro this new cover has many tie downs, and instead of the rope used by Nitro , the new cover has a bungee cord sewn into the edge. Also, compared to the $1,150 Sumbrella ad above, (and forgetting the time value of money) I can buy a new one of these every year for 16 years before I break even. Clearly, my new cover is not going to last as long as a much more expensive cove, and although this inexpensive cover has a five year warrantee, I do not expect it to last that long. But, I do think this cover will protect my Valco, from the dust and tree berries / twigs that the hull would otherwise accumulate. For what I needed, $69 out the door, including shipping was a good buy.
    Last edited by eah; 08-16-2014 at 12:47 PM.

I've had my boat for 5 years. It came with a Cabela's Trail Pro II cover. I keep the boat outside in Oceanside and it's always covered. The only damage so far to the cover is a little fading.

[QUOTE=eah;737132]The day before this posting began, I ordered a VortexDirect cover through EBay. I got the cover yesterday (8/15/14). I needed a cover for a Valco I am going to leave at out place in Winterhaven (aka Yuma, Az). I cannot say how what I got compares to a Sumbrella, but I can compare it the expensive "Nitro" cover on my bass boat..

The new cover's material is not canvas like the Nitro, but what it is made of seems reasonable; like the Nitro this new cover has many tie downs, and instead of the rope used by Nitro , the new cover has a bungee cord sewn into the edge. Also, compared to the $1,150 Sumbrella ad above, (and forgetting the time value of money) I can buy a new one of these every year for 16 years before I break even. Clearly, my new cover is not going to last as long as a much more expensive cove, and although this inexpensive cover has a five year warrantee, I do not expect it to last that long. But, I do think this cover will protect my Valco, from the dust and tree berries / twigs that the hull would otherwise accumulate. For what I needed, $69 out the door, including shipping was a good buy.[/QUOTE
    Interesting..keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    I've had my boat for 5 years. It came with a Cabela's Trail Pro II cover. I keep the boat outside in Oceanside and it's always covered. The only damage so far to the cover is a little fading.
    FWIW: I got the 300 denier universal (blue) from Cabelas for a 16 ft v-hull crestliner going on 4 years-parked outside in sunny HEMET CA. Fading only, stiching is holding up no tears anywhere-I use all straps when parked. This one is on sale $69.99 now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast