Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Offshore 7/28/2014

Default San Diego Offshore 7/28/2014

I took the Kolomona out of San Diego again, with crew members Blake and Rob . We launched the night before, caught some nice mackerel for bait and then bought a nice scoop of sardines from the bait receiver. We knew there were tuna biting in US waters but those fish were getting stomped on for a couple of weeks now so we decided to head south in search of a fresh batch. We scouted around for a few hours in the morning and found some tuna jumping. Boxed the area and not long after that got a double hookup on yellowfin and Rod reels in his first tuna. (yes, he ate the heart!) We worked the area a couple more hours and didn't get any more hits. We ended up finding a nice kelp paddy and it was loaded with yellowtail. We proceeded to catch our limit of 5 each and released many more. They were so aggressive I was even catching them on chunk bait. Unfortunately, the Gopro battery was dead at the time so I didn't get any footage. We left them biting in search of some tuna. We trolled, stopped on meter marks and birds but couldn't get any more tuna to bite. We did get a blind strike on a dorado but it came off after a few seconds. We also saw a 6 foot hammerhead shark, a giant sea turtle, and the tuna were spitting up red crabs - All signs of El Nino! Thanks to Blake and Rob for coming along, we will do it again real soon!

I want a turn.........................nice fish...................

Thumbs up

Another sweet slay session on the "Kolomona".
    Thanks for the text this morning, got my blood boiling for some Tuna action.
    Wish I could make it out with you this weekend, but I'm committed to a surf session.
    Will join you soon out there Jeff!

Looks like a killer session, went on two offshore trips this last Friday and Monday with double barrel blanks :/

Hammerhead and Turtle. What next ? Wahoo coming ? WTG...
    DR

That's some great catching...come on El Nino!

Whats going on brother!! Thanks Jeff for the trip it was awesome even though we didnt get to much into the tuna it was awesome to get rob out there and on some fish for the first time he had a blast. I will upload the video of rob eating the heart soon here :)

Nice! Glad to hear that you guys killed it on the yellowtail and got some tuna!

Looks like fun Jeff !!
    Did you head into Mexican waters?
    Robert
    <><

PM sent

Good job guys! Another full load of fish in the kill bag!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast