Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth trip august 15-18 (need advice please!)

Default Mammoth trip august 15-18 (need advice please!)

I've been going mammoth for a little fishing trip that weekend, I have been going for years, but typically i go with my father and uncles and we fishing from our boat. This time im going with my girlfriend and we want to go hiking back to lakes and creeks ( no crazy hikes haha she's def not skilled in the outdoors) I was wondering if you guys think exploring the rock creek area for a couple of days would suffice? Thank you and I appreciate the feedback ahead of time! Thank you!
    Last edited by b_bspk; 07-31-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Rock creek is a very popular Mammoth destination for both locals and tourists. Pack a day pack with lunch and waters, and hike from Mosquito Flats trailhead. There are bathrooms at the trailhead. The trail is three miles to Chickenfoot lake with a host of lakes along the way. The trail is very well maintained and easy to walk and follow. There are five or six lakes along the way. Rock Creek has Brookies as does all of the lakes....especially at inlets. It is an incredible valley with gradual climb. You will be starting your hike at 10,000 feet but will see folks of all ages, from kids in strollers to old people like me. You will also see more Golden Retrievers and Labs then anywhere on earth on this trail....the Mammoth locals use it to do their daily walks. There are a number of other day hikes located in the mammoth area.

Rock Creek is a great place to take someone who is new to the outdoors. You start out at 10,000’ but the elevation gain on the trail is not bad until you start climbing over Mono pass or Italy Pass. Lots of nice scenery, the trail is very easy to hike, and there is good fishing along the creek and in the lakes. You will have lots of company on the trail. I have even seen people pushing strollers along the trail on the weekends. Most people only go in a couple of miles or less so if you want some privacy hike further up, the fishing is better up higher for Goldens. A fly and bubble work good on the lakes. You can expect thunder storms in August so have the right gear for rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Rock creek is a very popular Mammoth destination for both locals and tourists. Pack a day pack with lunch and waters, and hike from Mosquito Flats trailhead. There are bathrooms at the trailhead. The trail is three miles to Chickenfoot lake with a host of lakes along the way. The trail is very well maintained and easy to walk and follow. There are five or six lakes along the way. Rock Creek has Brookies as does all of the lakes....especially at inlets. It is an incredible valley with gradual climb. You will be starting your hike at 10,000 feet but will see folks of all ages, from kids in strollers to old people like me. You will also see more Golden Retrievers and Labs then anywhere on earth on this trail....the Mammoth locals use it to do their daily walks. There are a number of other day hikes located in the mammoth area.
    Thank you soo much for the advice! I will look into it!

Quote Originally Posted by fly addict View Post
    Rock Creek is a great place to take someone who is new to the outdoors. You start out at 10,000’ but the elevation gain on the trail is not bad until you start climbing over Mono pass or Italy Pass. Lots of nice scenery, the trail is very easy to hike, and there is good fishing along the creek and in the lakes. You will have lots of company on the trail. I have even seen people pushing strollers along the trail on the weekends. Most people only go in a couple of miles or less so if you want some privacy hike further up, the fishing is better up higher for Goldens. A fly and bubble work good on the lakes. You can expect thunder storms in August so have the right gear for rain.
    Again, thank you as well, sir! I will look into that and i hope it doesnt rain haha ive never gone up there this late! *crosses fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by b_bspk View Post
    Again, thank you as well, sir! I will look into that and i hope it doesnt rain haha ive never gone up there this late! *crosses fingers*
    I've been in the back country in late October and I've had some of my best fishing ever in the rain and snow. I've also caught some of my biggest fish in foul weather. Just dress in layers and don't fish in thunder and lightning. Common sense rules the day...

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser View Post
    I've been in the back country in late October and I've had some of my best fishing ever in the rain and snow. I've also caught some of my biggest fish in foul weather. Just dress in layers and don't fish in thunder and lightning. Common sense rules the day...

thank you, sir! yeah, i can handle the cold, but just worried about my lady haha

Good luck and have fun with the advice you have already received. One additional word of advice especially for newbies. Be sure to keep the hiking light the first day to allow yourself to acclimate to the altitude. Altitude sickness is a miserable beast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicelag View Post
    Good luck and have fun with the advice you have already received. One additional word of advice especially for newbies. Be sure to keep the hiking light the first day to allow yourself to acclimate to the altitude. Altitude sickness is a miserable beast!!!
    Appreciate the Kind words, I am def new to hiking in the mammoth area and it's going to be a shock hiking up there haha Thanks again!

Sherwin lakes is an easy day hike with some decent brook trout fishing, its closer to town as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast