Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Striper Fishing at the Wood

Default Striper Fishing at the Wood

I've been out a couple of times fishing for striper and catch some dinks trolling, now I would like to put a bit more effort into and catch some bigger fish, something in the 5lb and up range. I typically just troll using Rapala CD-3's and Thomas Speedy Shiners on lead core or using my downrigger. Last week with my sons we caught 8 in a few hours, which was fun. If I was going after bigger fish what would be my best option? I really enjoy trolling over anchoring and dropping cut bait. Would bigger swim baits be the way to go or what would you suggest? Also what is the best time of the year to fish for striper around Silverwood.

Blair

Now is the time at the wood. If you want to catch bigger striper's use beef liver.

Now is the time at the Wood? Sorry now is only the time at the Wood for bigger stripers if you are possibly night fishing. Larger stripers need cooler water, smaller stripers can tolerate warmer water, so now is the time for topwater schoolies but as far as larger stripers go you need to wait till water cools down a bit in my opinion. Slowly the smaller stripers hitting top should progress to larger stripers on top, this also coincides with the baitfish getting bigger. Right now you need to go deep and you may be able to pull out a larger fish.

Seal,
    What would you suggest for baits if I'm trolling lead core or using my downrigger to get down where the fish are. What are the best types of lures or baits to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Doghunter View Post
    Seal,
    What would you suggest for baits if I'm trolling lead core or using my downrigger to get down where the fish are. What are the best types of lures or baits to use?
    Red headed XRAP's will do but I'd defer to TO for the trolling bite info. I'm more of a topwater and swimbait kinda guy.

Seal,
    Thanks for the help.
    Blair

I know a couple of guys that have pulled 15# or bigger from the 30-50ft depths. I would start at 60ft and work my way up.