Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 7/27 Daveys Locker Report

Default 7/27 Daveys Locker Report

Went out on the Western Pride boat for a company charter with 65 anglers aboard, most of which had no experience catching yellowtail or tuna.
    It was total fiasco all over the boat with the deck hands yelling and screaming at everyone to do what was told earlier in the days briefing of what to do and expect.
    There was only a few of us seasoned veterans that had experience catching yellowtail, tuna, and dorado. All the newbies had spinning reel setups and the only bait the boat got was pinhead anchovies, no more than 4 inches long.
    Amazingly, there was 42 yellowfin caught, ALL ON THE PINHEAD CHOVIES !
    The seasoned tuna veterans stayed away from the newbies at the bow hurling the iron hoping to hookup, but none caught on the iron.
    On our way back we came across a small kelp patty about 2 miles away from the harbor and there was dorado boiling and jumping out of the water !
    3/4 day boats from Newport on down to S.D. are all catching yellowtail, yellowfin, bluefin, and dorado. NOW IS THE TIME TO GO ! ! !
    Glad it was a free company trip, only thing I paid for was gas and parking.
    TIGHT LINES !
    TTFM

way to go, damn 65 anglers thats a lot

I wouldn't classify "spinning" gear as un professional.........I have caught many fine fish on my Penn and Shimano professional spinning gear.

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    I wouldn't classify "spinning" gear as un professional.........I have caught many fine fish on my Penn and Shimano professional spinning gear.

Few years back some guys from Thailand boarded the Royal Star with Shimano Stella's and 5.5-6' rods and smashed 180lb class yellow fin tuna, boating most fish in less then 15 minutes. Most of the rest of the world uses spinning gear, we are really the odd balls-food for thought.

Also well done on your trip!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010022003.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	44681  
    Last edited by AngryAgent; 07-29-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Stella reels are a different animal though... They are so dang expensive!

Spinning reels on a party boat have never been held in high regards. That's not saying you can't land a fish or two on them!!!!!!! However, from crews to other fishermen they secretly loath the angler that brings them on a party boat. A captain or crew member in talking about the previous trip casualty rate (lost fish) will often cite spinning reels as a main culprit. That's how they got the unflattering nickname COFFEE GRINDER!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-31-2014 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Spinning reels on a party boat have never been held in high regards. That's not saying you can't land a fish or two on them!!!!!!! However, from crews to other fishermen they secretly loath the angler that brings them on a party boat. A captain or crew member in talking about the previous trip casualty rate (lost fish) will often cite spinning reels as a main culprit. That's how they got the unflattering nickname COFFEE GRINDER!!!!!

Sorry but I'm gonna have to respond to this..

"Coffee Grinders" are fished throughout most of the rest of the world. We here on the West Coast of the United States are the minority fishing conventional reels. I think you have misunderstood what was meant when they told you about spinning reels on boats. See the problem with them is most people bring a $49.00 special that won't hold up to most 3-4lb freshwater bass let alone a 4lb bonito. They are also seen as a beginner reel because there's not much of a learning curve when it comes to casting and retrieving with them. Although that premise is true that they are easier to learn how to use doesn't mean the are inferior to conventionals by any means.

Check out some jigging and popping forums or some Japanese fishing websites and look at what they are using you might be surprised.

Even the East Coast uses a lot of spinning rods.

Is the conventional reel just So Cal or the whole West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Even the East Coast uses a lot of spinning rods.

Is the conventional reel just So Cal or the whole West coast?
    I would say SoCal is it's stomping grounds but its popularity is spreading. Honestly that would make a great poll question.

Anybody notice that dudes rod is broken in that picture. Lol