Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ultralight freshwater fishing line?

Quote Originally Posted by kzhlin View Post
    We were in a small cove and I was probably 4 feet away from him fishing an identical jig. I talked to him and he was fishing the jig without scent--just cast and slow retrieve.

We were able to see some fish swim around and they took his jig and never took mine. Maybe my presentation was not good, but out of the 6-7 guys that were in that cove, he was the only one catching!
    He might have told you what he was using, but do you think he really told you everything??? Of course not. Lol. Doing so would have killed his bite.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAgent View Post
    Not true at all..

2lb mono is much more limp and far better for fishing jigs from 1/32nds and lighter. You might as well not even be fishing a jig with 4lb
    Thanks for the input! I was always told that 2# was better for jigs, but didn't really see how much difference it could make until yesterday. I assume using 2# also gives you a bit more casting distance too?

I was just hesitant to fish 2# because I used to fish 2# P-Line Fluoroclear and got a lot of broken lines from snags. But so far Izorline XXX has been holding up really well... Will probably go back to using 2#.

I keep telling you but you must be hard of hearing that the 4# Nanofil is smaller than 2# fluorocarbon if your worried about break offs.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I keep telling you but you must be hard of hearing that the 4# Nanofil is smaller than 2# fluorocarbon if your worried about break offs.
    I was checking out nanofil, but seemed ridiculously slippery and had bad knot strength except for the double palomar...

2lb izor xxx

I was checking out nanofil, but seemed ridiculously slippery and had bad knot strength except for the double palomar...
    Looks like your doing a bit of research, which is always good. Gotta throw my 2 cents in....or maybe my $19.99, cause that's around the price the nanofil runs. TRY IT!! Devore is 100% correct. I too have placed nanofil on EVERY one of my spinning rods. Casts awesome, no memory, and the strength is phenomenal.

Know how to tie a line to line knot? If not, learn. If your not keen on tying knots with the nanofil due to slippage, tie on a 2# mono or Flouro leader and tie your jigs to that and give it a shot. Sounds like Dev's happy, I know I am.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, but you can show him where the trough is.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, but you can show him where the trough is.
    I'll check out the nanofill. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bass413 View Post
    Looks like your doing a bit of research, which is always good. Gotta throw my 2 cents in....or maybe my $19.99, cause that's around the price the nanofil runs. TRY IT!! Devore is 100% correct. I too have placed nanofil on EVERY one of my spinning rods. Casts awesome, no memory, and the strength is phenomenal.

Know how to tie a line to line knot? If not, learn. If your not keen on tying knots with the nanofil due to slippage, tie on a 2# mono or Flouro leader and tie your jigs to that and give it a shot. Sounds like Dev's happy, I know I am.
    Thanks! I'll check it out!

Thanks for the input! I was always told that 2# was better for jigs, but didn't really see how much difference it could make until yesterday. I assume using 2# also gives you a bit more casting distance too?

I was just hesitant to fish 2# because I used to fish 2# P-Line Fluoroclear and got a lot of broken lines from snags. But so far Izorline XXX has been holding up really well... Will probably go back to using 2#.

I'm purely talking about mono as well not nano fill. If you're fishing with mono with jigs 2lb is the answer. I've tried the nano and I'm not a fan but to each his own. P-Line 2lb is notorious for breaking as well and I either use Izor or Andy (actually I haven't used andy in forever) for all of my trout needs. I fish mostly just the Sierra's too and the white of the Nano fill was also a huge turn off. I like that clear or smoke line. But again everyone has an opinion and devoreflyer has been obviously having success using it so it might be worth giving it a shot. I'm just an old dog stuck in my old ways

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast