Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ultralight freshwater fishing line?

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I spooled 8# Nanofil on my finesse spinning reel for Bass fishing two years ago. I found I was throwing a flylined Senko further than ever with this line. The 8# is thinner than 4# mono and I have a difficult time breaking it for it weight. You will have to tie with a double palomar knot to keep from loosing gear as it is super slippery. I am in the process of putting it on all of my spinning reels (it will not work on bait casters.

Here is some info on it:
    Winner of Best of Show overall and in the Line Category at the 2011 ICAST Show

Not a Mono. Not a Fluorocarbon. Not a Braid. Berkley’s NanoFil Uni-Filament Fishing Line is the next generation of fishing line - and in a class all its own. Constructed from gel-spun polyethylene, much like a superline, it consists of hundreds of Dyneema nanofilaments that are molecularly linked and shaped into a unified filament fishing line. Dyneema is one of the world’s strongest fibers, providing NanoFil with superline-class strength, as wells as zero-stretch and exceptional sensitivity. Berkley’s uni-filament process also makes it feel and handle like a smooth monofilament, while still allowing it have the performance characteristics of braid. The ultimate spinning reel line - Berkley NanoFil Uni-Filament Fishing Line is the longest casting, thinnest and most sensitive line Berkley has ever created.

-Ultimate Spinning Reel Line
    -Zero Memory Virtually Eliminates Tangles
    -Incredibly High Strength/diameter Ratio
    -Zero Stretch Means Superb Sensitivity
    -Berkley’s Longest Casting Line

And a review:

Back in early June, I wrote a glowing tech review here of Berkley’s new NanoFil spinning line. Since then, that product has won an “Innovation of the Year” award at EFFTEX, the European tackle-trade show, and a “Best in Show” award at ICAST, the U.S. fishing trade show. That combination generally marks NanoFil as the hottest new fishing product of any type for the coming year.

I’ve finally gotten extensive time on the water with this new line, which included the fat walleye shown in the photo, so here’s an updated report.

First, at ICAST I grilled Joe Meyers from Pure Fishing/Berkley intensely about just how NanoFil is produced. Meyers is a very talented process engineer, which means he figures out how to make things. Yes, he acknowledged, NanoFil is made from Dyneema filaments (gel-spun polyethylene) like other superlines but is fused into a single filament rather than being braided.

Because polyethylene is basically chemically inert, I suspected that Berkley’s marketing claim of “molecularly linked” fibers to be mostly BS. Meyers more or less acknowledged that, but at the same time would only say “heat, pressure, and some secret sauce” when I pressed further for details. He smiled. I smiled. And I left the Pure Fishing booth still scratching my head.

Next I took my sample of 8-pound NanoFil to Lac Seul in northwestern Ontario, which happens to be one of North America’s hottest walleye lakes. Here F&S Deputy Editor Dave Hurteau and I literally caught all the walleyes we wanted while fishing out of Anderson’s Lodge. Because most walleye fishing is all about sensitivity and being able to feel light bites, it was the perfect place to test a new line.

The new NanoFil was just exceptional. We used two light spinning set-ups; one reel spooled with 8-pound NanoFil, the other with 6-pound nylon mono. The NanoFil performed well on a spinning reel: No tangles, no fuss, no muss, along with definitely enhanced casting distance because of the line’s ultra-small diameter. As we jigged with either live minnows or Gulp! baits in 15 to 20 feet of water, the no-stretch NanoFil gave a superb feel for both the bottom rocks and the gentle tap-tap of a taking fish. By contrast, the other reel filled with light, stretchy mono felt like total mush.

When we chose instead to troll small, deep-diving crankbaits, NanoFil was again a huge advantage. First, the fine diameter gave trolled baits added depth because the line itself has less water resistance. Second, the line’s no-stretch aspect let me feel every wiggle of a waggling chartreuse Wally Diver along with every little rap from a striking walleye. Here again, light mono--while it still worked--was nowhere nearly as successful.

To say I’m sold on the new NanoFil would be an understatement. It’s just a fantastic product for use on light spinning tackle. It’s not cheap at $20 for a 150-yard spool, but it’s worth every penny.
    Wow! I didn't know it worked so well! I was reading online and it has lots of raving reviews too!

How is the visibility? I'm looking online and it seems to be a solid white line. Seems like that would stand out a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt44 View Post
    Thats a nice setup! Tip your jigs with meal worms the trout love them. And look at your skirts make sure it swims right!
    Sometimes I will tip my jigs with Berkley power worms. Is this the same idea? Or do meal worms work better?

It comes in several colors now (mine is low vis green) the original looks like dental floss and my fishing partner colored it with a magic marker (6-10ft.).

It comes in several colors now (mine is low vis green) the original looks like dental floss and my fishing partner colored it with a magic marker (6-10ft.).
    Do you have any experience with fluorocarbon? My friends have been raving about Seaguar Tatsu...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt44 View Post
    Thats a nice setup! Tip your jigs with meal worms the trout love them. And look at your skirts make sure it swims right!
    Hey Matt, do you have any advice on choosing a jig color? For bright/dark days and clear/muddy water?

Ohh it works alot better than a power worm. I usually rip the heads off to get the juices flowing and I tip them that way. It just depends where im fishing. But usually I like to use the most natural colors. Low visibility I like using yellow!

You posted asking about ULTRALITE. If you want the most casting distance without giving up line strength, no memory and the most sincitivity then Nanofil is the answer. I can out cast my fishing buddy's that use 4# fluorocarbon with my 8# Nanofil (.006 dia line) Out of the 15 rod and reel combo's I have about half are spinning and bait casting, I now only have one setup using fluorocarbon line. All of my spinning are Nanofil or soon will be and all of my bait casting are braid except one that is flourocarbon. On the braid units I use fluorocarbon leader as I also do on my fly fishing rigs.

You posted asking about ULTRALITE. If you want the most casting distance without giving up line strength, no memory and the most sincitivity then Nanofil is the answer. I can out cast my fishing buddy's that use 4# fluorocarbon with my 8# Nanofil (.006 dia line) Out of the 15 rod and reel combo's I have about half are spinning and bait casting, I now only have one setup using fluorocarbon line. All of my spinning are Nanofil or soon will be and all of my bait casting are braid except one that is flourocarbon. On the braid units I use fluorocarbon leader as I also do on my fly fishing rigs.
    Thanks! Just curious, how often do you have to replace nanofil? Does it last a long time just sitting on the reel?

Quote Originally Posted by kzhlin View Post
    Thanks! Just curious, how often do you have to replace nanofil? Does it last a long time just sitting on the reel?
    I have had it on one rig for two years and have only cut off a few feet at a time when it looks worn or abraded. I may reverse it on the spool of one of my reels to see how that works. As it has no memory I never get line loops.

My ultralight rig which I rarely use has 2# Stren mono (been a Stren user for over 40 years)and I use a 3/4# leader (which is hard to find) with it. I will put 4# Nanofil on it when I decide to replace it as it is smaller dia than the 2# mono on it now.

It's the Ford, Dodge, Chevy thing everyone has their favorite. Just use what works for you and you have confidence in.

Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    It doesn't matter if you fish 2 or 4 lb. There are a lot of other factors that could be why he was catching them. Most of the time it's because the school will be doing a tight circle, or he could have been adding scent. It could have also just been one of those days.

Not true at all..

2lb mono is much more limp and far better for fishing jigs from 1/32nds and lighter. You might as well not even be fishing a jig with 4lb

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast