Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ultralight freshwater fishing line?

If your deep hookin' your fish your not paying attention to your line. Best way to get used to line movement is to fly fish.

It took me a few tries to get used to nanofil. At first, I hated it because my knots kept failing. I would go back to mono for a while, but always missed the incredible castability of nanofil and would give it a second (and third) chance. But now I absolutely love it, and will never go back. On 6lb nanofil, I can cast just a bb split shot well over 20 feet on a calm day. And it's incredibly sensitive, much more so than mono or flouro. I now use 4lb for trout, and 8lb for finesse bass fishing, and notice absolutely no reduction in the amount of strikes I get.

The key for me was to use the "nanofil" knot (basically a double palomar), and to get it *very* wet before cinching it down. Not just in the mouth a bit, but actually dunk it into some water for a second or two to get it completely wet. I think that the diameter is so small (relative to the strength) that if you don't do this, it doesn't snug down correctly and it cuts into itself.

To each their own, I suppose, but for me nanofil is the perfect line for spinning reels and I hope they make it forever.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345