Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuna time!

Default Tuna time!

I got an invitation to chase tuna on my buddy Jim's boat out of Terminal Island...four of us left around 3:30 am, picked up some nice sardines and small anchovies for chum from the barge, and headed southeast to the 209 spot...started trolling...and trolling...and looking for paddies....got a nice bonito on the troll, but nothing else, and saw no paddies at all...we saw lots of fish on the meter, but no surface action....we finally decided to join the other boats in the area that were drifting bait...we started chumming and soon had boils around the boat, and soon after my sardine got bit...a while later a 20 lb. yellowfin came over the rail...I love the glowing blue and yellow on a live fish...

I retied, threw some chum, put out another sardine, and got bit immediately...at this point, Jim asked what kind of line I was using since I was the only one getting bit in boiling tuna...20 lb. fluoro...and they started digging in the tackle boxes....an eon later, this 30 lb. bluefin came aboard

All three of the other guys started getting hooked up too...eventually the fish also stopped biting the lighter line, even though they were still boiling around the boat...that's when I went to the anchovy on 12 lb. fluoro leader on a spinning reel...you had to throw the bait in with a scoop of chum to get bit, and Jim and I got a couple more yellowfin doing that...then the fish stopped biting that as well, though they'd happily eat any chum we threw...eventually we headed for home, trolling and looking for paddies or boiling fish...saw some of both, but weren't able to get any other takers...final count was five yellowfin, one bluefin, and one bonito...not too bad for a day where they were so touchy.

Nice catch... Looks like you had the right stuff to get the fish on. Good to see blood on the deck!

Thumbs up

Way to find them and knowing how to take advantage of the finicky bite.

nice tuna stumpknocker ,knowing to drop down on line size was smart on a baiting down deal.....................T/O..........

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Way to find them and knowing how to take advantage of the finicky bite.
    Thanks Wingnut...it was weird drifting and baitfishing in the open sea with no jig stop or kelp paddy, but it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerbub View Post
    Nice catch... Looks like you had the right stuff to get the fish on. Good to see blood on the deck!
    Thanks jaggerbub...we used the hose a lot to keep us from slipping around in the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    nice tuna stumpknocker ,knowing to drop down on line size was smart on a baiting down deal.....................T/O..........
    Thanks T/O...when they stopped biting the 12 lb. fluoro, I thought maybe I should have brought my 4 lb. striper rod! That could take a while...

Nice Tuna. Did you go out of Larsons ?
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Nice Tuna. Did you go out of Larsons ?
    DR
    Yup...Jim's boat is berthed there.

Thats my hang out spot after work and keep my boat there.
    DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast