Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: can somebody help me identify this fish?

Default can somebody help me identify this fish?

So I was flyfishing the upper O this week, and this weird little fish hit my prince nymph. Ive had sucker fish hit my fly before, but never one of these. Its not a pike minnow, as far as I know. Is it some sort of chub or something? Whatever it is, its great bait for those big rainbows that come up from crowley.

As far as the rest of the trip, it was a great time. The upper O was tough, as the reports indicate. Water clarity wasnt great and the river is really low, forget about streamers. I managed 10 (standard stockers and a few small brownies) plus the weird fish. Prince nymphs, EHc.
    Also did some backcountry fishing, non-stop action on small brookies and rainbows. One of the many small rainbows that hit woolybuggers and standard dries(not picky at all).

Also fished the non-stocked portion of mammoth creek. Did great on some browns with woolybuggers and stimulators. Sorry for the lack of pics, I'm lazy.

It's looks like a California Hitch.

http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/location/?uid=38&ds=241

I think it may actually be the endangered tui chub

ya dude, looks like a tui. Browns and big cutthroats love them !

Anyone who fishes big browns or cuttys knows thats the tui chub!! Like muskyman said they gorge on these bad boys. I got a few different variations but I paint my lures to mimic the tui chub!

I agree, looks like a Tui Chub. I have caught them in Sabrina and a lot of them in the twin lakes at Bridgeport. Hence the huge browns there....

Me and my buddy caught a grip of these at Silver Lake... we thought they were carp or something....