Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rental boat trolling

Default rental boat trolling

After going out with Bob last week, and now that I am back in town for a while, I was able to go out to explore the trolling on my own today. Went up the fish arm, had some good looking patterns in the bait, at the right depth, but I kept getting short strikes, which are caused by going too fast, or poor visibility......I knew my speed was OK, so I switched up to something maybe they could see better, continued up the fish arm, and oh yeah they could see it a lot better, but they were green carp.......I suppose that is better than a skunk, but not much better....Not much bait in the fish arm, very little popping, so no T/W action. Rolled up the gear and treked to the ski arm. Not much happening there either, managed to get my urig snagged on a rope in Necktie Cyn, cutting between the slalom markers, fortunately got my rig back, just lost a jig head, actually that was the second of three snags where a jig was lost, but not my urig Continued trolling towards the buoy line, and got more shorts strikes, I had switched back to my original color, after the green carp calamity, so I was hoping that they were stripeys. The buoy line is broken again! Into the forbidden zone I went, and Mr stripey was waiting to play. I got a 2 pound schoolie, that thought he was an 8 pounder, fought like crazy, made the line counter really buzz when he hit. A lot of bait, and stacks of fish, but I know the Sheriff, or life guard boats would be making their rounds, so I left after a few passes, and a few more fish. Went up the west cliffs, trouble was there was a bunch of bass boats clogging the trolling lanes, which sucked because a couple of times when I had some good marks in the bait, I had to troll out of the lane to avoid the bass guys...Oh well, it is what it is. Left around 1, it was 105 when I got of the water, with little wind, it was really warm. It is like going to a new lake with the water so low, I found a few spots that I will continue to work in the upcomming weeks, but I dont have near as many options as I have in the past, but that makes it all the more challenging, and as Bob has always told me, adversity makes you a better fisherman. I dont think I am a better fisherman, but I am learning...............Dave
    Last edited by catchingsomefish; 07-25-2014 at 09:45 AM.

WTG DAVE,,,,,,,,,,I love your rental reports,,,,,you are the man,,,,,,,class act!

TRAIL BLAZER

Thank you for the kind words Scott!...................Dave

Nice report Dave.
    Sounds like you covered the whole lake. Thank you for sharing the info.
    105* in a rental? ... Trooper!!!

Mr catchingsomefish... Living up to his handle!

You most definitely are a better fisherman. You learn something every time out and then share it here. Your learning curve is on display with every report and they help with the learning curve of guys like me. I wish all the people on this site were like you.

Thanks for this report and all the others.

I love my bimini top......................

105 degrees is when a wet towel in the ice chest is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    I love my bimini top......................
    I love your bimini top also.....To be honest I was just happy to have a rental that didn't leak!

Thanks for report Dave. Green Carp! Is that all you caught? LOL

I like shade but I don't like fishing around Bimini tops. It's love hate hate, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Thanks for report Dave. Green Carp! Is that all you caught? LOL

I like shade but I don't like fishing around Bimini tops. It's love hate hate, I guess.
    Ron, I whacked 4 schoolies in and around the forbidden zone, 3 green carp before I switched colors, and if the breeze would have stayed up, I would have stayed a little longer, although the small bite I did encounter diminished as it got hotter............Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast