Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 day offshore gear?

i love my torium 16... its a workhorse and smooth! good warranty to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
    Well every company has reels and rods that would suit your desire. I first would decide on a manufacturer. For reels, Daiwa, Accurate, Avet, Shimano, the list goes on. For rods, Seeker, Calstar, Phenix, so on and so forth. Since you already have Avet in mind, i'll stick with them in this rant. I too am an avid Avet fan and have just about every basis covered. You can get one as low as $150 to ones over $900 easy. Need to know how much you are willing to spend.

Next you want to look at line capacity and drag pressure. You have your single speeds, 2-speeds, and in Avets case, Raptors. Raptors although pricey, give you a ridiculous amount of drag and will give you the most line capacity within their given class.

I would say a good all around reel for you would probably be an Avet MXJ or MXL 2 speed, depending on what you are using it for (live bait, surfact irons, etc...). If you are casting, go MXJ. If you need more line capacity, go MXL. If you have a little more $$ to play with, go Raptor.

I went with the above reels due to you saying you were thinking about an SX.

If you want to go bigger, you can always opt for a JX. Great reel, good line capacity, good drag pressure, just a little heavier than the above. You could get an LX also, but they are a little bit wider than what I look for in a reel.

I have gone out numerous times and my favorite go to is an MXJ Raptor spooled with 65lb braid backing with a short 6-8ft topshot of 30lb floro mounted on a Seeker Hercules 70M.

Just my 2 pennies.
    Thanks for the thorough response! Since I am pretty new to the saltwater scene, I was thinking about just getting a 25-30# live bait outfit for now and borrowing some heavier outfits from friends.

Are you saying that the SX is too small? I will probably end up getting another 1-2 outfits (maybe 40-50#) later on. But I was told that the SX is a nice one to start off with for live bait. 50# spectra with a short 25-30# topshot.

Don't know where you live but go to several tackle store and they could give you some options. I like bob sands in van Nuys. Performance tackle in Las Alamitos. Charkbait in Huntington beach.

Forgot to mention Anglers choice in point Loma. I always stop by there to fill up my reels with fresh line before my trip.

For the type of trip you listed, the avet sx is a good choice. Most guys bring sx's on 1-3.5 day trips and they do fine. I haven't seen anyone get spooled yet on tunas up to 50#.

For a 3/4 day I would take a 20# and 30# outfit. Spool up with 50# spectra and bring 15/20/30 fluoro leaders with you and tie on a topshot according to what species of fish the boat is targeting for the trip.

For overnighters to 3 day trips, take a 20#, 30#, 40# outfit. (50# for longer trips) Most of the time you will be fishing the 30#. Have some 50# fluoro handy just incase your boat runs into a nice grade of fish on the short trips.

Here's my setup to give you an idea:
    20# phenix 809 with a revo nacl (65 spectra) ***I'll use this to throw jigs too. Jig tied to spectra
    30# loomis psr84-30 with avet sx raptor (50 spectra)
    40# phenix 760h with a avet mxj raptor (50 spectra)
    50# phenix 700xh with a makaira 10 ii sea (80 spectra)

With this setup, I'm ready for anything within 3.5 day range. You can buy two setup as you stated and just change out your topshot accordingly. I would recommend that you get a stick for live baiting an one to toss jigs so you can switch back and forth. When the captain pulls up to a patty and everyone goes bendo for an hour, tossing jigs will save you time fighting with guys at the bait tank. When that's the case, the fish will chew on anything that hits the water...

So my vote is for you to get a sx and a mxj to start with. Pickup a 7' rod and a longer 8' to toss jigs. 2 speed reels are nice when you hook a biggun. Hope this helps. Tight lines...
    Last edited by jaggerbub; 07-25-2014 at 06:06 PM.

^ well put. I hope my post didn't deter u from the sx. It's a great workhorse reel, but I started at mxj. I have a buddy that I met on a 3/4 day. He was armed with an sx raptor and me with an mxj raptor. We both slayed. Avets are great reels and AMERICAN MADE!!

Thanks for the input!

Will probably be looking at an SX for now and maybe another outfit with the MXJ later on. I was originally wanting to get these 2 reels, but can't really justify spending that much right now since I'm new to saltwater and probably won't be fishing saltwater for more than ~3 times a month... But that will probably change since a bunch of my buddies left freshwater for saltwater... lol.

Now as for 2-speed and raptor, does the SX really benefit from those? I feel like the 2-speed might help with jigging with the MXJ or something, but I will be using the SX mainly for live bait. Thoughts?

Quick question: Do deckhands usually bonk your fish for you? Or do you bonk and bleed it yourself?

I've taken a number of trips and the deckhands will take care of the fish. All you have to do is get it to the boat. I've always had a choice of fillet or gill and bleed, for a small fee. Just listen to the deck hand and you'll be fine. Don't forget the tip and more importantly, have fun.

Bring a lighter rig too. 20 lb setup. The kelp paddy yellowtail often times aren't that big. If you have to toss anchovy you don't want a big setup.
    I have 2 Toriums 14s. One with 20 and a 30 lb line. Most boats provide heavy trolling rigs.
    DR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast