Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 day offshore gear?

Default 1 day offshore gear?

Hey guys,
    I've only been in the freshwater scene, but it seems like SoCal offshore fishing is pretty nice this summer! What kind of gear do I need? Do bass setups work?

Right now I'm planning to get an Avet SX with 50# braid + 20# topshot. Any rod recommendations to go with this?

For 3/4 day - 1.5 day trips, can I get away with 1-2 rods?

Thanks!

Kzhlin,

I have a brand new Avet SX, a Seeker Rod, and a Cal Star Graphiter. I got them in hopes of fishing offshore, but am quickly realizing now is not the right time as my wife just became pregnant, we just bought a house, and have a 2 year old. I haven't had a chance to list them anywhere for sale, but if you are interested, go ahead and PM or text me.

Mike
    951-833-6093

Sorry, but I don't have any recommendations for you as I never even had a chance to use this gear and I have no experience in offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dci4me View Post
    Kzhlin,

I have a brand new Avet SX, a Seeker Rod, and a Cal Star Graphiter. I got them in hopes of fishing offshore, but am quickly realizing now is not the right time as my wife just became pregnant, we just bought a house, and have a 2 year old. I haven't had a chance to list them anywhere for sale, but if you are interested, go ahead and PM or text me.

Mike
    951-833-6093
    Hey Mike, I'm still trying to figure out what to get, what to do, and whatnot since I'm pretty much a total newbie in the saltwater game. But I will let you know maybe in a few days.

Reel: The Avet sx is more of an inshore reel than an offshore. If you will be doing offshore I'd reccomend the jx as it will have the line capacity you'll need for these brute bluefin we've been seeing in U.S. waters. Another good reel that won't break the bank is a torium 16 or 20 (these can be found on ebay for around $100).

Rod: A great all around American made rod would be the calstar 800m. Seeker and Phenix rods are also great, it all depends on your preference and price range.

Line: If i were you, being new to saltwater and the tuna shuffle, i'd reccomend either 50 or 65 lb spectra backing, with 50-100 yards of mono to top it off. When you go to the tackle shop to fill up your reel, just let them know and they'll take care of you. Right now you'll be fishing mainly 30 lb line, and depending if it's wide open bumping up to 40, or if it's a plunker bite dropping to 25.

As far as bass gear is considered, a curado/lexa 300 or 400 would not be ideal, but are fun to use if you stop ona paddy and there are small yellowtail. Just be careful as tuna may come in at anytime and you never know how large they are until it's too late. If you have any more questions feel free to message me

Everyone is going to have their own opinion on what gear to buy for your application. Although I bring four to five outfit ready to fish, last time I ended up using one outfit on my last 1 1/2 trip. We had blufin tuna ranging in size from 25-45 pounds. My set up I used was Daiwa saltist 35 with Cal star graphiter 700. I also fish the seeker black steel series of rods. Can't go wrong with calstar or seeker. I have 50 spectra backing and 30lbs. Top shot. I used 25lb. and 30lb. fluorocarbon leader. I hope this helps.

its hard to put pressure on these larger blufin tuna fishing 20lb test. You get in a stale mate. When you turn the head up on the blufin, you need to keep it up. Its harder to keep the head up and keep pressure on the fish when fishing 20lb. Go ahead if you like punishment.

pm'd!

Thanks! Can someone clarify inshore vs. offshore? For the time being I will mainly be doing 3/4 - 1 day trips with maybe a 1.5 day trip once in a while. Are these still considered as offshore?

Well every company has reels and rods that would suit your desire. I first would decide on a manufacturer. For reels, Daiwa, Accurate, Avet, Shimano, the list goes on. For rods, Seeker, Calstar, Phenix, so on and so forth. Since you already have Avet in mind, i'll stick with them in this rant. I too am an avid Avet fan and have just about every basis covered. You can get one as low as $150 to ones over $900 easy. Need to know how much you are willing to spend.

Next you want to look at line capacity and drag pressure. You have your single speeds, 2-speeds, and in Avets case, Raptors. Raptors although pricey, give you a ridiculous amount of drag and will give you the most line capacity within their given class.

I would say a good all around reel for you would probably be an Avet MXJ or MXL 2 speed, depending on what you are using it for (live bait, surfact irons, etc...). If you are casting, go MXJ. If you need more line capacity, go MXL. If you have a little more $$ to play with, go Raptor.

I went with the above reels due to you saying you were thinking about an SX.

If you want to go bigger, you can always opt for a JX. Great reel, good line capacity, good drag pressure, just a little heavier than the above. You could get an LX also, but they are a little bit wider than what I look for in a reel.

I have gone out numerous times and my favorite go to is an MXJ Raptor spooled with 65lb braid backing with a short 6-8ft topshot of 30lb floro mounted on a Seeker Hercules 70M.

Just my 2 pennies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast