Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Gamakatsu or Owner

Default Gamakatsu or Owner

Which do you like. I thought the Owner #8 was the standard for worms ... plastic worms ... mice tails ... etc. Some say #10 Owner

Or ... do you like Gammies better? Don't they weigh more?

owner!!!! much better hook

I'm a gamakatsu person for everything but my swimbaits.
    I use owner on my swimbaits.

Gamakatsu's weedless short shank single EWG for the win. Don't leave home without them. I also usually have a few owner Mosquitos on hand.
    it would seem to be the most effective fisherman, you'll want some owners and some gami's in your tackle box. However, I still favor gamakatsu for their ingenuity.

These are the best hooks for bass in existence.

Last edited by tacklejunkie; 11-02-2014 at 05:39 AM.

Aren't Gammies heavier ... and does it matter when floating worms ... or using plastic worms or mice tails?

It does matter. Owner all day. To each their own.

Some gamakatsu are heavier, but if you see the top hook I posted a picture of above, that's actually fairly thin and flexible wire. The second gamakatsu picture is a dropshot/splitshot hook. The top picture is a senko w-rig or o-ring rigging hook. The only hook I will use with senkos. Besides the chotto shank.

Smetimes, depending on the fish you are after, heavier hooks might help your bait sink quicker and could be ideal, while other times, lighter hook for slower fall might be best. It all depends on the fish you are after and the type of rig you are using. Owner hooks will not cover all rigs. For example, their weedless hook gets hung up way worse than the gamakatsu version, and you can basically see why. Not to mention, the prongs stick out wrong on the senko with this hook, and prevent a good hook set anyway.

A smart angler, would want to learn where he or she should use gamakatsu or owner, instead of writing off one brand for the other. ;)

if you are fishing the power worm c-rig or split shot, you'll probably want to use owner mosquito hooks. I gave up the power worms a while back in favor of throwing shiny metal Holographic Panther Martins.

These crap as* owner designed hooks don't keep the weeds off your line worth squat and it's easy to see why. The weedless barbs cave right in and the hook picks up all the junk just like a normal hook. In fact, it actually makes rigging the senko a PITA and prevents a good hookset if the senko is in the way. I should know, I've extensively tested both hooks. So, owner has some stepping up to do, here. Big time.

The genius of the Gamakatsu design is that the weedless loop is tied in the opposite direction, having to be curved down 180 degrees to hook in place. This prevents the weedless loop from caving and being useless.

Its as if owner didn't even test their own hook before they released it. If they did, they knew it sucked.

Gamakatsu also used the perfectly strong light wire on that first hook I posted, because they KNOW people want to use it for slowly falling Senkos. Why the heck didn't Owner realize their hook sucks with a senko on it?

owner makes good trebles and mosquito hooks. Everything else I use Gamakatsu, or something imported from Japan that you won't find at Walmart.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 11-03-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Sheesh!
    My iPad thinks senkos are seniors and I sure had a hell of a lot of typos. I need to quit posting on this thing =\

I remember when I used to use mosquito hooks for bass fishing. Lmao..
    those were some tough day(S). Over 60% of my fish were farmed to the jump shake. Changed hooks, next day landed my first 4lb bass. Never again with Mosquitos and bass, ever.

i also remember asking "What kind of hook holds a 9lb fish?!" Hahahahaha

Thanks, SoCal Bassman!

Reasons behind the rhymes.

cant you guys give me something easy like lead vs tungsten?

i think the more appropriate title to this thread should be "What's the best hook for this particular presentation for this particular species". It seems as though you have either forgotten some details or don't understand that not all hooks are created equal.

IE:
    "What is the best hook for split shooting trout with a power worm?"
    or
    "What is the best hook for bassin' wacky flyline with senkos?"

..and don't forget, you can even sharpen your hooks yourself. fly fisherman do this often. The hook should stick in your fingernail without effort.

no use fishing a dull hook, or a hook that is just a shank, missing the hook. As I found out after farming 40 fish at Weir Pond in just under a half hour.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 11-03-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Gamakatsu for Sharpness
    Owner for Strength

I prefer Gamakatsus, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysuuun View Post
    Gamakatsu for Sharpness
    Owner for Strength

I prefer Gamakatsus, but you can't go wrong with either one.
    Interesting post ... and appreciated

I thought Owners might be weak ... maybe it's just that they are built to be light ... and can't be as strong as a regular hook.

10. Default

so funny, last night I was wondering the exact same thing as I was going through my fishing gear.... Ive always liked both brands and I wilcontinue to buy both lol