Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Camping Trip to Sierras

Default Family Camping Trip to Sierras

Hey everybody I was hoping i could get some information on different camping/fishing spots that are good this time of year in Bishop/Mammoth area. I have camped below Lake Sabrina and fished all the surrounding lakes and streams for example Sabrina, Intake 2, South Lake, North Lake, PVR. Hit the Loop 2 years ago Gull, Rush, Silver, June. It will be my wife and 2 boys first trip up the 395 and would like to go with what I know but I have been reading about Bears in area quite often no attacks or anything but I know it will freak my wife out. So any recently camped areas that were somewhat bear free info will be greatly appreciated also enjoy exploring new lakes don't mind taking a hike to find the natives. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Trout Killa; 07-24-2014 at 12:49 PM.

We've stayed at the McGee Creek Rv Park and Camp grounds the last two times. They have a few tent spots available. Hot showers real toilets. The nice part is your within striking distance from Bishop and Mammoth. The staff is great and you are less likely to come into contact with the bears.

Bears are simply part of the Eastern Sierra experience, especially with the drought. Keep a very clean camp and use the bear boxes for everything. Bears would rather eat berries then people. There have been no "attacks" by a Black Bear other then one that started with, "Here, hold my beer and watch this".

Quote Originally Posted by pitman View Post
    We've stayed at the McGee Creek Rv Park and Camp grounds the last two times. They have a few tent spots available. Hot showers real toilets. The nice part is your within striking distance from Bishop and Mammoth. The staff is great and you are less likely to come into contact with the bears.
    Awesome thanks pitman

Rock Creek canyon is my favorite, numerous campgrounds from large to small, you can fish the creek, the lake and the upper Owens River is just a short drive up 395...I have camped in the area for over 50 years, camping 40 plus days a season and rarely do I see a bear....Keep your campsite clean and store your things in the bear boxes... When I camp the only thing you see in my site is my tent and chair....absolutely nothing is left out which is the reason I don't have a bear problem....All the restrooms have signs stating,,, " We don't have a bear problem we have a people problem"

I agree with camp cleanliness. And USING Bear Boxes. But if your neighbors are careless, a bear may pass through. Let your neighbor enjoy the bears company. Most of the time, bears are just curious.

I would suggest Upper Gray Meadows campground in Independence. Took family camping there many times. Never encounter bears. Good creek fishing & hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Bears are simply part of the Eastern Sierra experience, especially with the drought. Keep a very clean camp and use the bear boxes for everything. Bears would rather eat berries then people. There have been no "attacks" by a Black Bear other then one that started with, "Here, hold my beer and watch this".
    Yes they are just like jackasses like you are simply part of the fishing community, the man asked for a place least likely to have bears, not one of your typical stupid responses... Tangent over.

Quote Originally Posted by fishreaper View Post
    Yes they are just like jackasses like you are simply part of the fishing community, the man asked for a place least likely to have bears, not one of your typical stupid responses... Tangent over.
    There are American Black Bears found all along the Eastern Sierra. There are no places where they are not found. Let's break the post down....Bears are part of the experience especially with the drought...not too stupid but very true. Keep and clean camp and use the bear boxes for everything...again a simple tip to keep the bears away that will inevitably show up. Without any food source-they leave. Pretty reasonable, I'd say. Bears would rather eat berries then people...should reassure his fearful wife...The final statement is pretty reasonable as well. Most attacks happen when drunk idiots do something stupid. Bears are everywhere unless you want to camp on the valley floor where it's 98 degrees. For a guy whose claim to fame here is peddling fishing gear, You sure as hell didn't try to offer any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    There are American Black Bears found all along the Eastern Sierra. There are no places where they are not found. Let's break the post down....Bears are part of the experience especially with the drought...not too stupid but very true. Keep and clean camp and use the bear boxes for everything...again a simple tip to keep the bears away that will inevitably show up. Without any food source-they leave. Pretty reasonable, I'd say. Bears would rather eat berries then people...should reassure his fearful wife...The final statement is pretty reasonable as well. Most attacks happen when drunk idiots do something stupid. Bears are everywhere unless you want to camp on the valley floor where it's 98 degrees. For a guy whose claim to fame here is peddling fishing gear, You sure as hell didn't try to offer any suggestions.
    Never been to sierras no suggestions, just pointing out fact that your claim to fame is being a jackass to fellow board members, nothing but negative post in your history. Hey did i point out your a jackass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast