Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/16 Castaic Noob 1st outing

Default 6/16 Castaic Noob 1st outing

1st Castaic Lake Outing.

I arrived at 6:15 from fontana and my buds were right behind me arriving at the same time. I was expecting to go through inspection and to my surprise my Perris tag was good.
    I was surprised because I had called the Castaic lake 3 months ago and they did not except tags from Perris/Wood, Unless someone there wasn't sure atm! Anyways I was
    still preped and ready for it. This was my first trip so i didn't know where to start! As soon as we launched we headed out to the east side of the lake, two mins later I turn around
    and go the other way,North which is Left of the ramp. Just instincts I guess idk

Once we got to the 1st cove I liked it was trolling motor down and lines out. We started the day trowing reaction baits which the bite was really good in the am. The 1st two fish were
    stripers and that was pretty much it for stripers which we were not targeting. We caught 12-13 lmb on reaction baits. Once the sun was out around 11, we switch over to
    plastics and had a consistent bite the rest of the day.

Later in the day I saw a few striper boils from a distance. I must have seen maybe 5-7 boils and all lasted 10 to 30 seconds, very short. I did try to get us close to those boils from
    a safe distance but by that time the boil(s) were over. I even tried sneaking up with the trolling motor and they would be over before you could count to 5 It was still
    pretty rad to see it in person for the 1st time.

We had 2 double hook ups and I had a back to back catch. No giants, all fish in the 1-3lb range but all solid great fighting fish.
    46- Large Mouth, 3- Small Mouth, 2- Striper...
    It was worth the drive and We had a great time. I hope Perris will take my Castaic tag now!

Last edited by troutsniffer; 07-18-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Now that's a report!

Nicely done and great trip!

Awesome man. Nice fish count, glad to hear about the boils. Thanks for the great report.

Quote Originally Posted by basshole1 View Post
    Awesome man. Nice fish count, glad to hear about the boils. Thanks for the great report.
    Thanks & Thanks

The funny part is there was boil going on a good 30-50ft from this boat that was anchored up and just did not seem to care! Another fishing boat passed right by another one
    and nothing??? Just what I saw from a distance. We hung out in the area for an hr and waited patiently but had no luck getting to one so we went back to fishing for LM.

Thanks for the report.

Could you get some striper pics next time, please!

Boils are a blast!

Man you killed it. I didn't even see one fish at all today. I fished the shore. I don't have a boat... I will fish vicariously through your pics though! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by troutsniffer View Post
    Thanks & Thanks

The funny part is there was boil going on a good 30-50ft from this boat that was anchored up and just did not seem to care! Another fishing boat passed right by another one
    and nothing??? Just what I saw from a distance. We hung out in the area for an hr and waited patiently but had no luck getting to one so we went back to fishing for LM.
    Man, I would have been all over that. The fella at Castaic Landings told me the stripers were starting to boil last week. Good to get info from multiple sources. Again, you guys smashed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Thanks for the report.

Could you get some striper pics next time, please!

Boils are a blast!
    They were just 1lb shoolies but sure will next time.

Quote Originally Posted by hombre_jaguar View Post
    Man you killed it. I didn't even see one fish at all today. I fished the shore. I don't have a boat... I will fish vicariously through your pics though! Lol
    Thanks man, I'm pretty sure I'll be going again next month. If I do I'll let you know and maybe you can join us

Hey yea man thanks for the invite! Just let me know.

good job on the lmb's T/S , even with the low water its still a good sized lake . the bass fishing will just get better along with the striper fishing as the shad get larger and shallower .I know what you mean about the tags ,they don't take dvl tags anymore ,I found out on Monday. mon the boiling was better and lasted longer than it did on thurs , but that's how Castaic is , I know very well ive fished there since it opened back in the seventys when I was a lmb catching machine...........T/O..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast