Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Offshore 7/14/2014

Default San Diego Offshore 7/14/2014

Took the Kolomona out again, this time with crew members BlakeB and FrankyG. We did the usual routine. Launch the night before, catch bait and head out to the tuna grounds, arriving at daylight. Bait catching was rather difficult this time as we were only able to catch around a dozen mackerel. Luckily the bait barge had some sardines this time. They were not in the best of shape, and most died within a few hours but we did put the remaining to good use. Our first stop was a kelp paddy that was loaded with 5-10 pound yellowtail. We caught around a dozen, keeping a few and releasing most. We left them biting in search of tuna. About 15 minutes later we find a huge kelp and once again it is loaded with little yellowtail. We were hoping maybe a dorado or tuna might be around as well but that was no the case. We caught around 20 yellowtail and handed the paddy off to a couple other boats. Started trolling and it wasn't long before the clicker started to scream. We had out first tuna on board and before we could move another 50 yards we had another. Then a couple doubles, a triple and it went pretty crazy after that. We found another kelp paddy loaded with yellowtail that turned into tuna. Franky was able to get two on the iron and I lost one on bait. I switched over to a yo-yo iron and on my first drop I took 2 cranks and was on! It wasn't fighting like a tuna. I thought maybe a big yellowtail? When I got it to the surface we were all surprised to see a 50 pound mako shark thrashing around with my fire iron in his mouth! We tried to get it off but two of the trebles were deeply embedded in his mouth and there was no way to get a hand close enough without losing a couple of fingers. Cutting the line didn't seem like a good option either as having the heavy jig hanging out of his mouth would be cruel. We ended up gaffing the fish and didn't take the iron out until after it was well dead. We only needed a few more tuna to fill our limit so we started trolling towards home and within minutes had a triple jig strike to finish our limit. That was it! Full limits on tuna and a dozen or so yellowtail, although we released enough for triple limits! We slowly cruised home while Franky and Blake cleaned fish. I drove the boat and watched birds crashing and tuna breaking all around me. Talk about leaving them biting! It was another great trip. Blake got his first tuna and even ate the heart! Hope to do it again sometime soon.

Sick trip my friend....simply sick!!!!! probably be heading out that way myself very soon me thinks : )

Huge congrats on a trip to remember!

Thanks once again for having me aboard the kolo jeff! It was a sick trip! one I'll never forgot!

Looks like sashimi for days and days.

Big congrats!

And a baby mako to boot makes great fish tacos!

Your on fire!

Mike

man i really missed out!

You did an amazing job!

If you don't mind me asking how far out you ran? You can on if you want, I'm taking my 23 foot cc out Sunday but not sure where to go. Looking for tuna, tails out dodos. Had a few reports of a couple tuna in a 3/4 day out of long Beach (where we normally launch) and 1 tuna on a half day out of nph. My cousin is out right now with my grandpa in his boat out of oside, waiting to hear the report! Thanks!

Wow.

What a trip Jeff I had a blast and will always remember this trip!

That heart was definitely not good but i put it down like a champ.
    Paddys LOADED TUNA BOILING what more can we as for!!

Cant wait for our next trip here soon

Thank you for taking us out very much appreciated

BlakeB

INSANE....congrats, WOW!

TD

Here are some more pics :)
    I got so much fish i dont know what to do with it looks like im stocked up for a while ha
    Cant wait for this next trip hopefully not this weekend but the next!!!!
    Thanks capt

Way to go guys! A great trip for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast