Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skinner Lake Parking Lot 7/12/2014

Hey guys I plan in going to skinner tomorrow, and I usually only fish diamond, but I need a change in scenery. Any tips and location for LMB and stripers?

for stripers just pack up some sardines and livers, and follow the fleet. Should be at least 15 or more boats in front of the inlet. Largemouth are in the weeds and reeds all over the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    for stripers just pack up some sardines and livers, and follow the fleet. Should be at least 15 or more boats in front of the inlet. Largemouth are in the weeds and reeds all over the lake.
    Right on PAW thanks

Ok it's a sad day for me. Got skunked! You guys were right about the parking lot! Also there was a tourney goin on. Talked to a guy, n they said they caught 15lmb??! How?.. there was so much grass!! Drop shotting into it was frustrating. Any tips on how to fish skinner with all this grass?....I was trying to find the edge of it, but it was everywhere...

You got skunked , I can't believe that lol when u leave the lake word has it the lake store now sells skunk remover

Quote Originally Posted by Fnguyen5992 View Post
    Ok it's a sad day for me. Got skunked! You guys were right about the parking lot! Also there was a tourney goin on. Talked to a guy, n they said they caught 15lmb??! How?.. there was so much grass!! Drop shotting into it was frustrating. Any tips on how to fish skinner with all this grass?....I was trying to find the edge of it, but it was everywhere...
    T-rigged creature bait and peg the bullet weight. Frogs and other top-water early then go to popping that t-rig into the grass and between the grass and Tules. Also look for holes or openings in the grass to cast into. Or punch it through the laid down Tules using a heavier bullet weight, if it's a foot or deeper chances are it will hold a fish. I haven't been to Skinner this year so I haven't seen the weeds. Are they on top forming a canopy yet? I also move out and fish the main lake points, ledges and rocks with a jig. Also, in the early AM or when there is wind-chop, in areas where weeds are not an issue or there are clear grass lines, I'll throw a shad or Bluegill colored Spinner bait in front of those Tules and grass lines...

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    T-rigged creature bait and peg the bullet weight. Frogs and other top-water early then go to popping that t-rig into the grass and between the grass and Tules. Also look for holes or openings in the grass to cast into. Or punch it through the laid down Tules using a heavier bullet weight, if it's a foot or deeper chances are it will hold a fish. I haven't been to Skinner this year so I haven't seen the weeds. Are they on top forming a canopy yet? I also move out and fish the main lake points, ledges and rocks with a jig. Also, in the early AM or when there is wind-chop, in areas where weeds are not an issue or there are clear grass lines, I'll throw a shad or Bluegill colored Spinner bait in front of those Tules and grass lines...
    I tried t-rig most of the day, casting it directly in the reeds and crank early morning. Drop shot senko towards the afternoon but still nothing. Had to be the location...I heard to find the edge of the grass line n fish along that. Which side is a good spot? I have to redeem myself it's embarrassing lol

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    Hawgz... no frog bite yet. In most places it's like fishing in an aquarium it's so clear. No paddies or canopies anywhere. There are sunken grass beds in water 10' or less where the sun is generating growth. They must have really blasted the chemicals this year. I stopped to drop shot off a point in 35' of water and I could clearly see bottom.
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 07-19-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnguyen5992 View Post
    I tried t-rig most of the day, casting it directly in the reeds and crank early morning. Drop shot senko towards the afternoon but still nothing. Had to be the location...I heard to find the edge of the grass line n fish along that. Which side is a good spot? I have to redeem myself it's embarrassing lol
    Well, if there was a tourney going on those guys are hammering everything in site but you should still be able to stick them regardless. Both sides of the weed-line should hold fish but you gotta keep moving till you find them. Change the color of the bait, work it slow, burn it, shake it, dead-stick it or hop it around until you get bit. They can go from aggressive to lethargic in the blink of an eye so you have to present it to them the way they want it at that moment. Bait size, bait type, bait color, technique and cadence all fit into the picture so keep trying different things until you get a bite. Also at Skinner stealthiness indeed does matter...

Hawgz... no frog bite yet. In most places it's like fishing in an aquarium it's so clear. No paddies or canopies anywhere. There are sunken grass beds in water 10' or less where the sun is generating growth. They must have really blasted the chemicals this year. I stopped to drop shot off a point in 35' of water and I could clearly see bottom.
    Holy cow that place should have weeds all over by now. Gin clear water definitely calls for finesse fishing. Perhaps he should try out 4" Roboworms with a longer tag line to the weight to get it up higher . I'd imagine a lot of guys are throwing Senkos so the fish are seeing a ton of them. Is there any Bass fry visible? If so I'd try a small Bass fry crankbait...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast