Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Yosemite Fly Fishing Late September

Default Yosemite Fly Fishing Late September

FNN Team! I'm a newbie from Texas here and am so excited to hopefully receive some experienced wisdom.

I'm planning on going on a fly fishing trip in Yosemite (first time to be there) September 22-26. I'd prefer to be fishing in the backcountry away from the large crowds and also prefer to be fishing streams and rivers rather than lakes. I'm experienced in backpacking and fishing and will have two intermediately experienced fisherman with me.

Per my research, I've learned that the Lyell Canyon area above the TM basecamp is a good place to fish, based on my late-season trip and preferences. But, I'd love to hear any of your inputs as far as advice you may have to successfully pulling decently sized fish out of rivers and streams in late September in Yosemite.

Summary:
    1.) Where should I fish?
    2.) How big will the fish be?
    3.) What will be the difficulty level?
    4.) Where should I camp?
    5.) What flies would you recommend?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help and I hope to hear from you all soon!

I would hire a guide!

sandtrout,

Thanks for the input, but we're not interested in hiring a guide - moreso interested in hiking to a relatively secluded area to fish a good area for a few days!

If you enter the park from the Eastern side of the Sierras, ( near Tioga Lake) the fishing is great and awesome opportunities for wild trout. Saddlebag lake and 20 lakes basin are located really close to the park entrance, and the camping is pretty good. high elevation camping though. I'd do my fishing in that area, then take a couple days to explore Yosemite. If you want more info. let me know.

I second the Saddlebag Lake area near the east entrance to Yosemite. You can take the boat ferry from the marina at Saddlebag to the other side of the lake and hike into the back country from there. A very nice first trip to the Sierras.
    As far as what to use I'd be using a 4 to 6 weight rig and you can get real good information by Googleing Brocks Sporting Goods or Culver's Sporting Goods in Bishop, CA. They can lead you the right way. Also try "Sierradrifters" for information.

Sierraslam and Cliffy,

Thank you so much for your input. I'll definitely put that area at the top of my list. Are there good rivers and streams to fish in the Saddlebag and 20 Lakes area?

Quote Originally Posted by john.a View Post
    Sierraslam and Cliffy,

Thank you so much for your input. I'll definitely put that area at the top of my list. Are there good rivers and streams to fish in the Saddlebag and 20 Lakes area?
    The short answer is yes but they are very small in good years, but there is Lee Vining Creek that flows out of Saddlebag Lake down to the east side and the Tuolumne River in the park along with the Dana and Lyell Fork of the same river. You will have very low stream flows in September. The fish are small but there are lots of them, Ants and other terrestrials will work for the streams, Adams also work. The fish aren’t too picky; if you fish the lakes try a Wooly bugger with a pheasant tail dropper. An 8’ 3wt will be fun on the streams and the lakes.

Default eastern sierras

was up there 3 weeks ago and fished lee vining creek, creek was full of good size stockers, and some natives, tubers were fishing westside of tioga lake, levels were decent, fished below saddleback lake, but was tough, great camping at the lake

Tuolomne river

Quote Originally Posted by john.a View Post
    FNN Team! I'm a newbie from Texas here and am so excited to hopefully receive some experienced wisdom.

I'm planning on going on a fly fishing trip in Yosemite (first time to be there) September 22-26. I'd prefer to be fishing in the backcountry away from the large crowds and also prefer to be fishing streams and rivers rather than lakes. I'm experienced in backpacking and fishing and will have two intermediately experienced fisherman with me.

Per my research, I've learned that the Lyell Canyon area above the TM basecamp is a good place to fish, based on my late-season trip and preferences. But, I'd love to hear any of your inputs as far as advice you may have to successfully pulling decently sized fish out of rivers and streams in late September in Yosemite.

Summary:
    1.) Where should I fish?
    2.) How big will the fish be?
    3.) What will be the difficulty level?
    4.) Where should I camp?
    5.) What flies would you recommend?
    Hope the TM campsite is not too crowded by that time of year.... it's a very popular campsite. Check recreation.gov to reserve sites if you can.

Lyell will be very thin... water will be low, fish spooky, and stressed by the heat and low water.

I would do the Saddlebag/20 lakes basin... It's just outside the eastern border of Yosemite park on Hwy 120.

Fish will likely be small. you are not looking to catch any hogs.

Brookies will bite almost any small dry... caddis, griffith's gnat, attractors for dries.... most midges, bead head nymphs, prince nymphs etc will work. also stripping wooly buggers work too.

There is a group campsite at Saddlebag lake and a first come first served site at Ellery.

hope this helps

practice good catch and release policies... though taking a couple of brookies to eat are pretty good.