Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Cool BBL fish. Species ID?

Default Cool BBL fish. Species ID?

Few weekends ago caught a few of these guys while bait & wait catfishing. very interesting, it looks just like a salt sculpin. I looked online and read it as "big bear lake sculpin." I will eventually grab the dfw freshwater handbook and thoroughly investigate but just wanted to share this. cool huh?

Oh yeah dattack that's it! Riffle sculpin california native. Interesting.

Freshwater sculpin, they're ALL over that lake...

Can't tell you how many times guys have gone to BBL and come back with a picture and a need for ID. Yup they are everywhere in that lake!

So I was reading the link above, http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/location/?ds=241&uid=77, and I found something interesting. In the Life History section it reads, "These fish have similar habitat requirements similar to those of rainbow trout and are often found in association with them." Could this mean that where you find the Sculpin the trout are nearby or would you just interpret this as they are in the same lake?

Same lake. They like the oxygen levels and water temps similar to rainbow trout is how I'd interpret it.

Good bait I heard for trout.

Are they good to eat ?

Midshipman...