Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We are Back to a 5 Catfish limit - No Catch and release

Good then we have both sides of the potential problem covered. Either way, solutions exist.

Get Off your A## and check as people leave.....Problem solved...

I was there today ..Danielle had to come out to tell the deck hand to move them poachers boats back lol.

will you please help me..i cant buy a bite...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedOrder View Post
    So I won't have any monsters left in this lake because we won't let them grow to get there. I can't release the obviously pregnant cat mommas, and ready to spawn behemoths.

Why not limit hook use to circle hooks only? I'm assuming this rule comes into play because of terrible anglers deep hooking fish and letting them go. Circle hooks will eliminate that problem. How about we educate people on how to release with the pro team? There is a plethora of other options aside from driving away the 3 day per week fisherman. This lake gets a large portion of my salary and I can almost guarantee I'll stop going because it doesn't make sense to pay to be inconvenienced. I fish for the love of the sport, and only keep what I can eat, my wife and I are completely incapable of consuming 45lbs 3 times a week.
    I clean up after other anglers, give out as many tips as I can and do my best to buy local bait and support the tackle shop, not walmart. But I'm being punished? Not cool. Hand out stamps to anglers certified to release fish after taking a training course. Do something, anything but throw up your hands and quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Perris Bluegill Chaser View Post
    Get Off your A## and check as people leave.....Problem solved...
    i agree...

Guys you can speculate all day but Irvine knows it's business better than all you put together. Let's try another speculation. All you saying the big fish will suffer might be wrong. Many use the C&R to cull out smaller fish thus only taking larger fish. If Irvine keeps an eye on everybody and cuts way down on C&R it might actually be a good thing for the trophy cat fishery, who knows, I surely don't.

Lol wow, I thought us Bass guys were supposed to be the bad guys about this kind of stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Guys you can speculate all day but Irvine knows it's business better than all you put together. Let's try another speculation. All you saying the big fish will suffer might be wrong. Many use the C&R to cull out smaller fish thus only taking larger fish. If Irvine keeps an eye on everybody and cuts way down on C&R it might actually be a good thing for the trophy cat fishery, who knows, I surely don't.
    Really Seal, you do know you're talking about ME!!!!!!!!! I've been fishing Irvine lake since the late 60's. Not only that, I've read those Field and Stream articles about why Irvine lake can grow the biggest catfish in the West. You do know I could give one of my famous lectures on the subject. Now you don't want me to do that do you?????? I'll just leave you with this, If Irvine lake really wanted to understand how their monster Catfishery is doing. They should be tagging every Blue catfish caught over 25 lbs with a number on it. Then record the date it was caught and it's weight. Keep an accurate log and watch how much weight it puts on every year or two. My contention is the biggest catfish in the lake right now is at 52 lbs or so. In the next year or two they will be catching them in the 60's lbs range. See if I'm right????? Unfortunately the lake is NOT TAGGING their monster Catfish.

Seal, I just scratched the surface of what I know about the Blue Cat fishery in Irvine lake. I will expect a full apology from you within the day!!!!!! lol lol lol lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-06-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodbass View Post
    Trout on the other hand die real easily so they should not be catch and release. Just my input.
    This is only true if your dunking powerbait. If you know how to properly handle and release a trout there's no reason it should die.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Really Seal, you do know you're talking about ME!!!!!!!!! I've been fishing Irvine lake since the late 60's. Not only that, I've read those Field and Stream articles about why Irvine lake can grow the biggest catfish in the West. You do know I could give one of my famous lectures on the subject. Now you don't want me to do that do you?????? I'll just leave you with this, "If Irvine lake really wanted to understand how their monster Catfishery is doing. They should be tagging every Blue catfish caught over 25 lbs with a number on it. Then record the date it was caught and it's weight. Keep an accurate log and watch how much weight it puts on every year or two. My contention the biggest catfish in the lake right now is at 50 lbs or so. In the next year or two they will be in the 60's. See if I'm right????? Unfortunately the lake is NOT TAGGING their monster Catfish.
    Of course. Everything is always about you Etucker. Couldn't be that since Irvine hasn't actually come out and explained the reason that just about every one of these reasons being tossed out could be wrong or it could be a combination of many being correct.

Irvine knows it's business, there are a lot of skilled fishermen that work there and have worked there for a while that know a helluva lot more about the lake and it's fishery than you do. A lot of thought went into making this decision, they wanted to allow it but for some reason it just didn't work out. My guess is it was abuse of some kind and that many of these ideas have some validity.

It is a shame always when the majority get screwed because of abuse by the minority.

You are wrong by the way there are catfish larger than 50 in there.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast