Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We are Back to a 5 Catfish limit - No Catch and release

Back to corona for me, they stock smaller fish. I'm not going to fillet 60 lbs of fish once a week. Absolutely crazy. Wonder team 57 will think of no longer being able to set them free. I know a lot of novice fisherman about to be handed huge cats lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hookerz View Post
    Aaron, its 20 pounds or bigger. I got a pass earlier this year for the above fish.
    tight lines,
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, hoping to earn my free pass tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedOrder View Post
    Back to corona for me, they stock smaller fish. I'm not going to fillet 60 lbs of fish once a week. Absolutely crazy. Wonder team 57 will think of no longer being able to set them free. I know a lot of novice fisherman about to be handed huge cats lol.

I can't speak for everybody obviously, but if the rule is no C & R than that's the rule we'll be following. Not a huge deal really, in the years prior to last it wasn't allowed anyways.

Good luck out there.

TD

Glutinous no good for nothing POS's that have no morals regarding fisheries and others.

I helped a guy here in Bakersfield to get on some catfish.

He posted on Facebook this pic. Needless to say I expressed my displeasure and cut ties with him.

Makes more sense to allow catch and release and only allow anglers to keep 5 catfish. Catfish are an extremely hardy fish. Catching and releasing them does not harm them. Sounds like the issue is people keeping too many of them. Trout on the other hand die real easily so they should not be catch and release. Just my input.

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    Thanks Steve, hoping to earn my free pass tonight!

I can't speak for everybody obviously, but if the rule is no C & R than that's the rule we'll be following. Not a huge deal really, in the years prior to last it wasn't allowed anyways.

Good luck out there.

TD
    I'm very disappointed in the rule change. What it will hurt is the Monster Catfish. What is a monster catfish?? It's a catfish that's over 30 lbs!!!!!! A blue catfish only has a life expectancy of 20-25 years. (look it up if you don't believe me) Since no C&R on catfish till their 20 lbs, think of all the catfish that could have grown into monster size but are killed instead because that's what the rules are.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Glutinous no good for nothing POS's that have no morals regarding fisheries and others.

He posted on Facebook this pic. Needless to say I expressed my displeasure and cut ties with him.

Wow. No wonder I never catch anything. These MFs fished them all out.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post

Not any different than the father that takes his kids fishing with him and fills their limit for them in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Since no C&R on catfish till their 20 lbs, think of all the catfish that could have grown into monster size but are killed instead because that's what the rules are.
    No argument there...

TD

So I won't have any monsters left in this lake because we won't let them grow to get there. I can't release the obviously pregnant cat mommas, and ready to spawn behemoths.

Why not limit hook use to circle hooks only? I'm assuming this rule comes into play because of terrible anglers deep hooking fish and letting them go. Circle hooks will eliminate that problem. How about we educate people on how to release with the pro team? There is a plethora of other options aside from driving away the 3 day per week fisherman. This lake gets a large portion of my salary and I can almost guarantee I'll stop going because it doesn't make sense to pay to be inconvenienced. I fish for the love of the sport, and only keep what I can eat, my wife and I are completely incapable of consuming 45lbs 3 times a week.
    I clean up after other anglers, give out as many tips as I can and do my best to buy local bait and support the tackle shop, not walmart. But I'm being punished? Not cool. Hand out stamps to anglers certified to release fish after taking a training course. Do something, anything but throw up your hands and quit.
    Last edited by TwistedOrder; 07-05-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedOrder View Post
    So I won't have any monsters left in this lake because we won't let them grow to get there. I can't release the obviously pregnant cat mommas, and ready to spawn behemoths.

Why not limit hook use to circle hooks only? I'm assuming this rule comes into play because of terrible anglers deep hooking fish and letting them go. Circle hooks will eliminate that problem. How about we educate people on how to release with the pro team? There is a plethora of other options aside from driving away the 3 day per week fisherman. This lake gets a large portion of my salary and I can almost guarantee I'll stop going because it doesn't make sense to pay to be inconvenienced. I fish for the love of the sport, and only keep what I can eat, my wife and I are completely incapable of consuming 45lbs 3 times a week.
    I clean up after other anglers, give out as many tips as I can and do my best to buy local bait and support the tackle shop, not walmart. But I'm being punished? Not cool. Hand out stamps to anglers certified to release fish after taking a training course. Do something, anything but throw up your hands and quit.
    I'm not sure the issue has anything to do about improperly releasing Catfish. I'm speculating based on other peoples comments that this is only about OVER LIMITS!!!!!!! Which is going to happen anyway with or without C&R being allowed. I'm still only speculating, but the only sort of logic that makes any sense at all that their trying to use is, "WHEN YOU CATCH YOUR LIMIT GO HOME"!!!!!!!!!

Now what they should have done to help preserve their monster Cat fishery is the following. Allow no C&R on catfish under 10 lbs, but allow someone to release a 10 lb or larger fish before they limit out. Once they do limit out they are done for the day. This would have solved both problems!!!!!!!

Another idea they should consider is a C&R BRACELET. If you declare yourself before you start fishing as C&R only. You get a BRACELET to wear which means you will have no dead fish in your possession. I'm sure there is many more people like me, who don't want to mess with a lot of dead catfish at the end of the day.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-05-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast