Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Better late than never...crowley/convict

Default Better late than never...crowley/convict

I'm pretty late in posting this.
    We had our annual Crowley Tournament May 2-4. 15 knuckleheads fishing and drinking...and not necessarily in that order. My buddy Hugh and I got there 3 days before the tourney on April 29th. We went out on Crowley for the last half of the day and immediately both of us slammed 3 browns each. The largest being 3.7 lbs. We sat around the fire that night thinking the next day was going to be stellar. It wasn't. A couple fish each and we had to work extremely hard to get them.
    So...the next day we decided to go to Convict since we were going to be on Crowley for the next 3 days. Hugh wanted to fish the shore and let his dog run around so I dropped him off at the inlet and went trolling by myself. The first lap around the lake I pulled in one decent bow around 2 pounds. When I got back around to the inlet I yelled out to Hugh and asked him if he'd had any luck. He answered me by pulling up his stringer...with a 7 pound beautiful bow.
    The next 2 1/2 days (the wind came up and I called it quits halfway through the 3rd day) at Crowley weren't red hot. But not bad for me. 25 fish in 2 1/2 days. Some of the guys had a really hard time...including Hugh.
    I guess he used up all his luck at Convict.

Below is a pic of his 7 pounder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10341968_678863192173103_7687793816199642854_n.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	44374
    Last edited by SierraPeaks; 06-15-2014 at 03:52 PM.

What were you running at crowley? And how deep? Fish are def down a lil farther with the warm temps. Thats a nice bow!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt44 View Post
    What were you running at crowley? And how deep? Fish are def down a lil farther with the warm temps. Thats a nice bow!! Thanks for sharing.
    Actually...they weren't hanging very deep. The thermocline set up really early this year. The surface temp was 63 so the fish were steady at 6 to 8 feet. So I anchored throughout the lake in 10 to 11 feet of water and slayed 'em using inflated crawlers...soaked...With a 3 to 4 foot leader.
    Last edited by SierraPeaks; 06-16-2014 at 02:52 AM.

Nice peaks...sounds like a blast. Later is better than never. Thanks for the post and the detailed intel. Gratz to you and hugh....cheers!