Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: "The Hagg", Oregon - First Bronzeback Finally! 6/11/2014

Default "The Hagg", Oregon - First Bronzeback Finally! 6/11/2014

Starting a new job up here soon. Feeling the pressure and trying to get out fishing before I become a slave again.

So today I decided to go check out Hagg lake Finally after scoping it out on the motorcycle last week. Looked it up online and supposedly it's a trophy smallmouth fishery. Caught my first smallie and it fought like a bastard! Also lost a much nicer one "on the grab" when I went to lip him. My dog is awesome, she always jumps in when I catch a fish to try and help me land them! Best dog on planet earth! Man's best friend for sure. She was sitting down in the water looking out to the lake waiting for me to land more fishes. lol. I had to explain to my dog "that's fishing!".

Here I'll let the pics do the talking.

This is when I first went to Hagg on my bike a week or so ago.
    [/URL]

Found this creek.. jumped off the bike and had my 5wt fly rod on my back..
    [/URL]

I Got excited as I saw the famous "anglers! artificial lures with barbless hooks only!" sign hiking up the creek!
    [/URL]

Then I get the "no trespassing park boundry" sign and my day was shot for the fly rod. lol. That's why I brought the bike. Still had a very nice ride.
    [/URL]

Back to the other side
    [/URL]

So I started to scout where there might be some fishy bassin' spots, since I head there is Spots, Smalls and Large in the lake!
    See the guy tubing out there?
    [/URL]

So I go home and think about the lake for a few days, and do some homework.

I noticed some dope on the internet barking out his spot and directions how to catch a smallmouth within 3-5 casts while doing some research on the way.
    I stole his spot. All I had to do was look at the water color and choose a worm color. lol
    Fishing in pressure like down in LA has no meaning here. There was no pressure here today. Accept for me to catch a smallie for my first time.
    [/URL]

So I go to "the left pier of boat ramp C" and I tie on a worm and cast along the left shoreline. (note, I never go on a pier full of people, even if told to go there for a hot bite. I go away from the peops and still gets my fishes) 1st cast I get bit and it was a short biter.
    [/URL]

Second cast, nothing. I started to worry. Was I a worthless fisherman or was this guy's internet blabber incorrect?
    I admired the beauty anyway.. and the chemtrails.
    [/URL]

Pepper waited paitiently for me to hook a fish, as she always does. She knows. She's hella smart. Once a fish shows color, she's in the water right after him lol.

Third cast!
    [/URL]

Finally, after years of trying. My first smallie! Fight was great for his pint size! I'll never forget Hagg lake now, for sure! Not to mention I found my new bass hole close to home! I can tube there too and my new job will be 40 hours a week so I will be able to fish again! I'm gonna hit Hagg HARD! :rockon: Supposed to be huge smallies in there. From the fight of this dink I can't even imagine what a whopper feels like!
    [/URL]

[/URL]

We changed up spots after I couldn't get any more hits. 3-5 casts was right, and that was all! lol.
    At the new spot I hooked and got to fight a fish with a senko, a brass on glass rattle wacky rigged with an 0-ring tool and a dip of smelly jelly of about 2-3lbs with some shoulders and a serious attitude, but he came unbuttoned right on shore when I went to lip him in the frenzy Pepper the fishing dog always creates whenever she see's the color of a pissed off hooked up fishy.
    Long distance release on a good sized beauty of a fighter but I'll be back to get them next time and I know where to find them! Lake looks to be a winner for bass fishing. I'll be back often! I'm excited! :cheers: NEed to get a massive smallie to eat my 12" Triple Trout lol
    [/URL]

[/URL]

Until next time folkses. Tight lines! Here's to finding new bassin' spots in new states with new beginnings.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-11-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Another QUALITY report T/J,,,,,,Thanks for staying in the FNN loop bro,,,

Always a class act for sure,,

TRAIL BLAZER

Just read your other out of state post last night. I was wondering what happened to you dude. Congrats TJ, you made a good decision to get out of the rats nest down here. It's absolutely beautiful up there with lots of killer fishing to be had. Both your threads are great posts with killer pics. I wish you the best in your new home and new home waters although there won't be any Stripey slayage up there but who cares with all that Oregon has to offer as far as angling goes. It's cool that you remain an FNNer and keep us abreast of your adventures in new waters, I look forward to more of your posts. Hey, I thought your TW reviews were pretty cool too, lol. Congrats on your first Smallie, they put up one hell of a good fight. Wait till you stick a 4-6lbr dude, you're gonna be reminded of the old Stripey fights. Kudos to you and thanks for staying in touch TJ...

sweet! when the water goes down, you gotta hit the rivers with that 5wt, dude...

Good stuff TJ!

x2 what CD said. I wanna see some of the trout you pull outta there on the chicken feathers.

Heard there is steelies in here too. As well as yellow perch or something like that, that I have not caught yet, around the dam.
    I missed a hike with the roommates last weekend at a fly fishing salmon creek. My bad. I'll have to go check it out soon for my first salmon.
    This is one of those lakes where you could rock every fish in the lake on a slip bobber rig.

I really want to tie into a tophy smallmouth. That 2-3lber I lost the other day fought like a 4lb largie...
    no picture from LDR of course but I've cought so many fish by now I don't need tail pics anymore unless it's a trophy or a first. lol
    I'm actually kinda happy when the fish "win" and escape their "exploitation" every now and again. ;)
    I'm gonna stock up on Moss Kanimi Flash and head back to the lake soon to flyline those puppies with brass on glass and the 0-ring tool. Gotta be my favorite way to fish a Skenkho.
    Gamakatsu Weedless EWG short shank required.

PS..
    had a new job to start Monday but roommate turned my Resume in at his work and now I got another new job to start on monday at 8am instead of 6am and I'm making $3 more an hour! Kick @$$! Enough of this 84 hour work week! Back to 40 hours a week and still have some change in my pocket and time to fish! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooT!

Man, if anyone needs a job, Oregon is the place to get them! No joke. Last job I got in one day of applying and just got hired on the spot at roommates' work. Too easy. Coming from LA taking me six months to find a job, this is like a joke. Took me a long time to convince myself to leave Cali that I've known my whole life, but it was well worth it and my studies took me to the right place.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-13-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Nice Report! I have to head up to Oregon one of these days for the awesome fishing.

Goodluck with the new job! Keep the report coming!

Jake

[QUOTE=tacklejunkie;730266]Heard there is steelies in here too. As well as yellow perch or something like that, that I have not caught yet, around the dam.
    I missed a hike with the roommates last weekend at a fly fishing salmon creek. My bad. I'll have to go check it out soon for my first salmon.
    This is one of those lakes where you could rock every fish in the lake on a slip bobber rig.

I really want to tie into a tophy smallmouth. That 2-3lber I lost the other day fought like a 4lb largie...
    no picture from LDR of course but I've cought so many fish by now I don't need tail pics anymore unless it's a trophy or a first. lol
    I'm actually kinda happy when the fish "win" and escape their "exploitation" every now and again. ;)
    I'm gonna stock up on Moss Kanimi Flash and head back to the lake soon to flyline those puppies with brass on glass and the 0-ring tool. Gotta be my favorite way to fish a Skenkho.
    Gamakatsu Weedless EWG short shank required.

PS..
    had a new job to start Monday but roommate turned my Resume in at his work and now I got another new job to start on monday at 8am instead of 6am and I'm making $3 more an hour! Kick @$$! Enough of this 84 hour work week! Back to 40 hours a week and still have some change in my pocket and time to fish! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooT!

Man, if anyone needs a job, Oregon is the place to get them! No joke. Last job I got in one day of applying and just got hired on the spot at roommates' work. Too easy. Coming from LA taking me six months to find a job, this is like a joke. Took me a long time to convince myself to leave Cali that I've known my whole life, but it was well worth it and my studies took me to the right place.
    Man, you aren't kidding. I just went to the Portland craigslist skilled trades site. All kinds of jobs available. Hmmm...

It's the absolute truth. The Southern California economy is in the tank. There is twice as many jobs here and about 20 million less people.
    I spent a good amount of time doing my research before I came here and it's surely paying off when I don't even have to lift a finger to find work..
    I can deal with and actually like lots of cloudy weather, and on the sunny days, It's like perfect weather.
    Just have to deal with having four seasons. My California butt got stuck in the snow with my lowrider up here last winter lol. Then I Went and got a 4x4..

Heading out for a hike today at Opal Creek. I'll bring a fly rod. Not even sure if there is fish in there or not and don't even plan to look before I go.
    It's not about the fish..

I do however need to barter with CD about how to place another order of his wonderful Ritzwing Cracker Caddis.
    Or get off my lazy butt and tie some flies with all these feathers I drag around from state to state.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-14-2014 at 08:19 AM.