Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crowley Perchin' 6/4 and 5/28

Default Crowley Perchin' 6/4 and 5/28

Been able to sneak away from work for a few hours the last two Wednesdays. Here is a short recap of what, when, and where.

5/28/14
    We scoped out Leighton Springs & Green Banks - no weeds, no fish.

We found TONS of Perch to maybe 1.5lbs in Crooked Creek, in kinda deep on the right bank. We caught fish on various lures including the swimbaits & perch grubs by Sierra Slammers and Berkley 2" powergrubs. Darker colors like rootbeer, motoroil and pumpkinseed prevailed. We caught fish on plain, white and chartruese jigheads in 1/16oz and 1/32oz....the latter of which was probably the better of the two sizes.

We kept about 25 perch for tacos...released a ton of smaller fish.

6/4/14
    Far less on the numbers side of things but waaaay better on quality. Our smallest of the day was near a pound with most of the fish hovering around the 1.5lb mark. The biggest in our group was 2.25lbs and the biggest on our boat was 1lbs 15oz...SLABS. While I did play around with some Sierra Slammers stuff, the Berkley Powergrubs were hard to beat....scent helped too oddly enough, something I've never seen make a difference before unless the crappie nibbles were involved. We kept 16 really nice fish for tacos and let the rest go.

Crooked Creek was pretty much barren on this day but we found fish from Leighton Springs on up towards the inlet....bigger feeding fish were on outside weed edges or beyond the weed edges or as deep as 12ft beyond the weedline. We also found some biting fish in shallow at 4ft but most of the fish we saw were spawning and had jockjaw. I prefer not to disturb them anyways once they're on a bed.

We checked out Green Banks...found some early week growth but no fish.

Its still a tad early but we're hoping by next week it's going to be just stupid wide open out there...I'm trying for a 3lber this year to weigh in for the derby.

Anyhow - I'll report again next week.

Cheers,
    Smitty

Those are some nice slabs and great pictures. Thanks for the report Sir.

Nice work Smitty.

This is something I want to get into this year for sure.

Jimmy

Awesome report man, looks like you all had a blast!

It looked like a great time on the water. Sierra Smitty, I plan to go up in late July. I will be fishing from a float tube. What would you suggest be a good launching area for me that will get me on the perch.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfreak1966 View Post
    It looked like a great time on the water. Sierra Smitty, I plan to go up in late July. I will be fishing from a float tube. What would you suggest be a good launching area for me that will get me on the perch.
    fishnfreak - it's a little hard to say since the perchin' conditions change drastically week to week. I'd pay close attention to the perch report on the Crowley Lake Fish Camp website to follow how things are going. If the perch end up in McGee you might launch at Sandy Point and work west. Green Banks is another possibility...but like I said, it was drastically different just 7 apart so I can only imagine how it will look in late July.

Thanks for the report on the perch Jared. I also wanted to compliment you for being honest on what you were taking them on. I know you're invested in your sierra slammer products and most others on this board who are either friends or affiliated one way or another with xxx co. would just pimp their products like no other. I just wanted to compliment you on your honesty.

Thanks Smitty! I will be checking the reports. Keep sending those pics they are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverWalker View Post
    Thanks for the report on the perch Jared. I also wanted to compliment you for being honest on what you were taking them on. I know you're invested in your sierra slammer products and most others on this board who are either friends or affiliated one way or another with xxx co. would just pimp their products like no other. I just wanted to compliment you on your honesty.
    AMEN, Bro ...

6/5 we found them around Leighton on the troll, nice size 1.5 and bigger. Not many trout on the troll but the perch were fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast