After fishing with ymin, sosofresh and a couple other guys, I had been bothered by my lack of skillz in the plastics department and to make matters worse, Kev has clearly mastered the art of the Megabait (he's caught everything worth while on them!!). So I decided that if in the event Mrs. Funjunkie says "OK" to go fishing this weekend, I would hone my plastics skillz. Well, last night, she said "OK".

I had originally decided to go out on an AM 1/2-day, but at 4:30am my sleepy butt said "Go back to sleep...." and so I did.

Second try...at 10:00am I got out of bed (all refreshed I might add) and packed to go out. Decided on Dana Point because when I called they told me there were only 12 people on the list!! (I love off-season!) Got to the landing, signed in and got on the boat.

The Clemente.

In total, there were 16 people aboard. You can say there was PLENTY OF ELBOW ROOM!!! Nice.

We picked up bait. And when we did, I decided to test my "secret sauce".
I made two casts with a blue/silver blam, nothing. Not even a nibble or tease. Made two casts again, this time with the sauce. BAM! Miniature barrie. And then BAM!! croaker. Dude, this stuff works....

We load up on some nice size dinos and chovies. Nothing special. It didn't matter either way, I wasn't going to use them anyway.

We make it out of the harbor, turn right, 5 minutes, we're at spot #1.
So as I mentioned, today I was going to fish with plastics and nothing else.
Took my Abu baitcaster w/10#, rigged up a nice hammer (black/blue/silver) and a little "secret sauce" and out it went. Let it sink to the bottom and slowly wind in.......
slowly.......
a little bounce.....
tap*....
tap* tap*......
BAM!!!
We have ourselves a contender!! Bendo!! Nice fight!!

CALICO!! (1 of 4)

After the first one, it was cast after cast slammin!!
I didn't have a chance to take a picture!! But I ended up with 4 released Calicos, 2 bonitos and a ton of released barely-cudas.

I had to change hammers...these mofos with all their teeth were tearin my s--t apart!! LITERALLY!

Notice the teeth marks?!?! :twisted:

Anyway, we make a move to spot #2.
Things slowed down and a couple of sheepshead came over the rails, short halibuts that wishful thinkers we hoping they were sole...no, it's a short halibut...keep dreamin!

And so we move to spot #3.
By this point, I have unfortunately lost 4 plastics to the sea...weed...and rocks and now working with what ever I have left...a Christmas tree plastic. Didn't really think it was going to work, but I tied it on and lubed it up anyway.
Cast...
waiting....
waiting....
waiting....
wind a little....
waiting....
wind a little....
bump....
waiting.....
bounce.....
waiting....
bump*......
waiting....
wind a BAM!!!
Dude this fish is freakin stalking my Christmas tree!! A little kick, a little WOO HOO by me and comes up a nice sandy!!

This was to be the last spot and we did okay.
The winner of the JP was a 14" Sheepshead over a 16" Calico.
No tangles.
No fights over JP.
A few Korean guys tried to get away no paying for their fish cleaning. Pay the 2-bucks dude!! Man!! What's up with dat!?!

I ended up with 4 Calicos (CR), 1 Sandy, 2 Bones and a plethora of barely-cudas.

I am pleased to say that I feel better of my short-comings on plastic fishing. I think I did pretty well. Although I think the sauce is really the major player here. :wink:

The nice calm seas of Dana Point...

You know things are going well in the world when vessal assist has nothing to do...

Attention all Asians. Show this picture to your mom or aunt and see how many different recipes you can get!!! LOL!!

There's always one on the boat....a future Terry....

Terry....

Poor white boy...he's gonna grow up to be an Asian. :rofl:

(note: Before you PM me as to what the secret sauce is, here is the link to it: http://www.unigoop.com/index.htm GO GET YOUR OWN!!)