Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Pelagic Mexico Trip w/video

Default Royal Pelagic Mexico Trip w/video

Received an invite a few months ago to join a charter of the Royal Pelagic for a 7 day surf trip in southern Mexico.

Left last Saturday and after an overnight flight and short van ride to Hualtuco Harbor, we rounded the corner to see our home for the next 7 nights

Pretty amazing vessel, in the same class as the Excel long range boat.

We loaded up and got our "how things work" briefing and 3 hours later pulled up to our first spot:

Sets were 2-3 feet overhead and a fairly easy take off, with some sets connecting thru the middle and inside for a 200-300 yard ride down the point.

Surfed until dark and then enjoyed fine dining on the deck

All the toys were stowed for the evening and ready for the next day's fun:

Sunrise saw us up and ready for a new spot

Skiffs in the water just at sunrise

Quivers ready for action

45 minutes later we pulled up to find this

To give a bit of perspective, the larger rocks on the right are about 5 feet out of the water.

We ended up surfing this break 5 days of the trip. A few late drop-ins were rewarded with a trip thru the rocks

...missing is the head gash and double foot laceration (repaired with super glue) but this didn't keep Warren from just destroying every wave he rode!!

Most days ended with a pretty cool color show

...and the crew enjoying a few fine beverages

We scored waves in the head high to 3-4 feet overhead range every day of the trip just EPIC!

When we weren't out getting pulled around

...we did manage to get a few nice fish

Some that even made it into the boat:

....and some that didn't

Check out all the bait puddling in the background of this photo

Now my goal was to score epic waves and get a big rooster on a surface popper on this trip.

Final goal accomplished

Fought this for about 45 minutes on a bass rod, we spent 20 minutes reviving the fish and it swam away.

The gods smiled on us for doing this when a 25 foot whale shark swam up next to the boat and hung out with us for the next 20 minutes. It was a once in a life time experience to reach down and grab on to it's dorsal fin and be pulled by it!!!

I should have some INSANE surf footage shot from the water and land (photos and video) in the next few days/week and I'll post when they are up!

Great to be back to cold water, small waves and 2-3lb fish!!!

Ed

The trip you guys went on lookds amazing! Nice pictures. The guy with the bruises is lucky they weren't worse judging from the large rocks I saw in the pics.

The fish you guys caught were awesome! And the Sushi Boat looked good as well. :wink:

Thanks for sharing!

Fisher-of-Men

Beautiful. I've always wanted to go on a surf trip or a long-range fishing trip, but never could justify spending the cash one way or another to the wife. but a combined surfing/fishin trip I may be able to justify.

If you don't mind my asking.. what is a ballpark figure for a trip like that?

Tubular those fish were gnar gnar bro. J/k Seriously that trip looked awesome man. Congrats on the Rooster that is a big boy.

wow!!!! the surf looks amazing....im jealous....nice fish too!

OUTSTANDING trip!!!!

Those are some quality fish!

:thumb:

Thanks guys it was just a killer trip!!!!

For info on the boat, here is their link

http://www.pelagic-charters.com/

Basically you must charter the entire boat (or hope someone is a few short in their charter and join in) and the boat runs out of Hualtuco Mexico. Although they may be doing a few trips out of Cabo later this year. It's primary mission is surf trips, but the guys on the boat love to fish too!

Cost will depend on the # of people on the trip, as you are chartering the boat. We had 10 on our trip and it was the perfect # both for cost and lack of crowding on the boat/waves.

ed

....$30,000 is a lot of money though. damn...haha

Yeah $30K sounds pricey (I guess cause maybe it is :lol: ) but with 10 guys it was a bit over $3K each + airfare.

Going out on the Excel for an 8 days, with 32 guys, is a bit over $2,000 each and the boats/service are very similar. We started fishing an hour after we were on the boat and in quality surf within a few hours of that!

Not something I can swing every year but worth every penny. They have a sister ship in Indo that may be the next destination for the group!

Ed

let us know when the surf vids up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast