Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Castaic yesterday

Default Castaic yesterday

Hit Castaic yesterday, to check out the conditions, and work on some trolling. Lake is down 30ft from when Bob and I were out in Feb. Water clarity at the launch ramp was pretty poor, trolled up the fish arm, water clarity got much better, metered several schools, 30-60ft range. Since I dont have a down rigger setup, went to long line trolling to get down to where the fish were in order to get bit. Finally got a schoolie, only to have the spot over run by a couple of bait guys, so I took off for the other side of the lake. From C-point to necktie canyon, the lake looks like green pea soup, horrible clarity, metered very few fish, out by Kong Island it was horrible. Kong Island now rises out of the water like a small volcanic island. The buoy line by necktie cyn is gone, but they have put up the regular buoy line again, so you cannot explore down there anymore......Came back up the west cliffs, and was greeted by more green muck, and no fish on the meter, it was getting kinda hot, so I called it a day around 12:30. Water temp was 63-64 pretty much the entire lake once you get away from the ramp. It was interesting to see the hidden hazards that have been exposed by the receding water, now I know why I had snag problems in certain areas, that being said, I had to relearn trolling lanes, as everything has changed, some coves are not big enough to turn in anymore. The fellow at the bait shop said the level might go down another 100ft, and said there was talk of a single lane to launch by summers end, but we will wait and see.......That may or may not be heresy, I an just repeating what I heard.....................Dave

Thanks for the recon Dave.

It sounds bleak. The fish were moving up the last couple times that I was there. Maybe the receding water is putting them down.

Thanks for the report catchingsomefish...I couldn't troll up any fish last week...congrats on getting one to go for it...if they keep dropping the water level, it'll be a new lake for trolling every time you go for a while...

http://www.pe.com/articles/water-694...ke-perris.html
    IT will be gone soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Thanks for the report catchingsomefish...I couldn't troll up any fish last week...congrats on getting one to go for it...if they keep dropping the water level, it'll be a new lake for trolling every time you go for a while...

Great recon dave,,,,,,,I cant wait to give that lake a go ,,,,real soon im sure

TRAIL BLAZER

Thanks for the report Dave...

Everyone needs to remember we've been in a drought for the better part of a decade. We should consider it lucky we even still fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Perris Bluegill Chaser View Post
    Thanks for posting up this article. Let's hope mother nature opens the flood gates on us when the supposed "super el nino" hits socal later this year.