Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor advise and wiring help?

o YA,,,Almost forgot to mention,,,,do NOT wear thise surgical looking mechanical gloves that keep your hands clean,,,,,The skingrafts adhere and take much better to the burnt limbs and body parts without the residue from the latex
    and rubber imbedded into the skin,,,,,,,,

Besides you could have a minor allergic reaction to the latex

TRAIL BLAZER

LOL love you guys!!!

A year and half ago I took the old tm off when I redid the boat. I taped each set of orange wires
    Together with electric tape so I would know each set goes to a battery. Today when I took the electric tape off each set, one orange wire on each set had additional electric tape wrapped around the orange wire pretty good. I must have done that so I knew that the blk tape would represent - wire.

Well today I went to buy 2 deep cycle batt from Walmart. I went straight to the boat to install new batteries and hook old tm up to make sure all the wires are right. BINGO old motor turned on.

So I decided I'm gonna stick to a 24 v tm and to make things easy. Plus I know I will get more speed/power.
    Tomorrow I am going to p/u at BPS. And install when I get back if not too hot!(ya right)

Thx guys for all the great humor and I will make sure to lay on + and - terminals on the hot asphalt with my shirt off to make sure I break it in. Haha.

I will post finished product.

all joking aside mike,,,,,,,,,,,since you are going 24,,,,,,be sure and put a digi voltage meter on your plug to make sure that your in series+24 volt AND not parralle= 12 volt,,,,,,,a 24 motor will still turn with just 12 volts ,,,,,just wont have much power,,,,,,

TRAIL BLAZER

That is actually great advice!

Thx Scott! I will check it tomorrow!

Put a 50 amp breaker on those hot wires, you don't want to have a short and fry your troll motor.

another word of advise is to keep a spare trolling motor plug in the boat at all times. I cannot tell you how many events I have fished where the plug goes bad and its so quick and easy to fix ...........provided you have a spare. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Put a 50 amp breaker on those hot wires, you don't want to have a short and fry your troll motor.
    Hmmm.. I was thinking a 50amp inline fuse would be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman View Post
    another word of advise is to keep a spare trolling motor plug in the boat at all times. I cannot tell you how many events I have fished where the plug goes bad and its so quick and easy to fix ...........provided you have a spare. Trust me.
    Ya great tip. I have had the plug melt out there on a hot day! Suuuux!!

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Daaaayaaam I'm gonna have to remember this. I truly thought 1 50amp inline fuse was plenty? WTF? LOL

Breaker is what you want and 50 amp, fuses are for sissy's cause ya never have a spare when they pop. Breakers have a reset.

ps: One breaker on each battery.
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 05-15-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Daddy likes!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast