Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bait-N-Wait when the Striper are Picky, with Equipment Recomendations

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    I prefer Owner mosquito hooks, #2 or #1 depending on the size of the bait. I've heard people mention octopus hooks, they never work for me
    The octopus hooks work for me but I like the mosquito hooks better. I use #2, #1, 1/0 and 2/0. I like the bigger ones better.

i like this thread, since sadly i don't really understand how to bait for stripers. sardines are pretty large pieces of bait, do u guys usually just cut them into small chunks?

Quote Originally Posted by ZipperWurm View Post
    i like this thread, since sadly i don't really understand how to bait for stripers. sardines are pretty large pieces of bait, do u guys usually just cut them into small chunks?
    We generally cut them into fish steaks. Cut just behind the gills so that your cut is square with the back of the dine then cut through the belly to make a fish steak that looks square from the side. You can get 2 or 3 pieces by working your way back.

Be careful to put your bait on so that the hook is centered so that it won't spin on the way down. This keeps the bait from spinning on the way down and tangling up the leader.
    Last edited by fishinone; 05-15-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: swypo

[QUOTE=fishinone;726993]We generally cut them into fish steaks. Cut just behind the gills so that your cut is square with the back of the dine then cut through the belly to make a fish steak that looks square from the side. You can get 2 or 3 pieces by writing your way back.

Be careful to put your bait on so that the hook is centered so that it won't spin on the way down. This keeps the bait from spinning on the way down and tangling up the leader.[/QUOTE

I'm a 1 inch chunk guy..but I don't get out as often as fishinone.

I'm no expert, this comment is only to share the discussion forward.

I'm a 1 inch chunk guy as well, I also use #2 or #4 mosquito hooks, I also fly line unless wind is blowing then I split shot. I like to hook from the belly, if it is fresh bait no problem but with old bait is tough.

My theory of belly hooking the bait is two fold

1. gut suckers get punished

2. hook point is always exposed

I will add I like to use smaller rather than bigger pieces so the fish will swallow the bait and not mouth on it.

Keep in mind, I bait fish 20% of my trips and is the exception rather than the norm.. I'm not comparing my technique to the hardcore bait guys, just sharing

That usually works but with big dines 1" let's them steal the guts to easy.

I belly hook at times too keep them from stealing guts.

Cutbait, Instead of using smaller baits in my dink spot at Pyramid, you need to find bigger fish. After all, you're a Bako Boy!
    Last edited by fishinone; 05-14-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spellin

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    We generally cut them into fish steaks. Cut just behind the gills so that your cut is square with the back of the dine then cut through the belly to make a fish steak that looks square from the side. You can get 2 or 3 pieces by working your way back.

Be careful to put your bait on so that the hook is centered so that it won't spin on the way down. This keeps the bait from spinning on the way down and tangling up the leader.
    I made some drawings of how I cut the bait.

I usually just cut the bait on the red lines.

The belly pieces with the guts are the best pieces when the striper are picky. When the striper are more aggressive every piece can work.

I hook them from the back or from the belly depending on what kind of shape the baits in and the mood of the striper. If the bait isn't firm when it's thawed out, belly hooking might not work because the striper just crush it on the first hit and it's gone. If the striper are squeezing the guts out of the baits and dropping the meat, gut hooking will get you more fish.

If the bait is soft or if I'm using anchovies, I hook from the back and make sure that the hook goes right between the bones and catches the ligaments and cartilage so that the striper can't steal the bait. I often reel up just a backbone and some ribs if I miss a fish.

When they won't take bigger pieces into their mouth, cut the back meat off leaving the backbone.

This increases the ratio of the delicious intestines to the merely succulent meat without making gut stealing easy.

This makes the bait weaker. Hook these pieces from the backbone side making sure that the hook catches some remaining skin and scales on both sides and that the backbone is trapped in the gap of the hook, so the bait won't come apart easily.

Even big striper will pick these up better when they prefer smaller baits or just want the guts.

I know it's time to do this when the striper are swimming off with the bait but setting the hook, while they have it, just results in swings and misses.

As you said fishinone, they love the guts...when the guts fall out of a soft chunk on the cutting board, I've wrapped guts on a hook like fishing mussels in the salt, and they love it...gotta be quick on the strike though or they'll steal it.

I just found those Cabela's Salt Striker baitfeeders on sale. (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    As you said fishinone, they love the guts...when the guts fall out of a soft chunk on the cutting board, I've wrapped guts on a hook like fishing mussels in the salt, and they love it...gotta be quick on the strike though or they'll steal it.
    I've done that too!

I've used bait that was spit out in the fish hold too!

Great info Ron!

Now just give them the longitude and latitude of our spots and we can have a party! LOL

Don't forget the lawrys dip !

Capt'n

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast