Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: A few striper tips

Default A few striper tips

First off, I'm NOT a pro just a Joe who pays attention. I get lots of questions on the water, in the parking lot, and on my PM box. What color? How deep? How fast? How big? In the end the trick is...... Keep it simple! In general stripers hit lighter colors. It doesn't have to be white. Pearl, off-white, silver all work. It doesn't matter if it's got the brown stripe or the grey stripe or the green stripe. These guys are a search/chase/destroy predator. They don't sit and examine the bait like a finicky bass or trout might. The 2 things that really dictate presentation will be depth and size of forage. Once you meter where the fish are holding in the water column then pick your delivery system (downrig, leadcore etc.) or nothing if they are in the top 5-15 feet down. Then SIZE correctly. If they are clued in on silversides that week or month then they will ignore bigger baits that they may have been hitting a month or two ago.

The real reason I decided to write this is I recently started using flies. After losing a couple I started tying my own (Thanks You Tube!) and I was stressing over patterns. Turns out I was catching fish on pretty much everything I tied on. Streamers, Clousers, bucktails. With eyes, with no eyes, fluffy, slim, all one color, striped. The things that dictated how many I caught were 1 size, and 2 depth. Period. Of course these will both change with seasons and forage patterns. So educate yourself on just those two items in your local water and you will catch fish. Tight lines guys!

Bob Slamal ( https://www.wonews.com/t-FeatureArti...it_062315.aspx ) was lifetime friend and my fly fishing mentor and started the “White Fly” technique.

“Slamal, however, was probably best known as an extraordinary fisherman, specializing in fly-fishing, but equally at home behind a spinning rod or baitcaster or jig stick. He’d fished everywhere in the West, fresh and saltwater, and traveled to spots around the world, especially New Zealand, to catch trout. He competed in the famous One Fly competition in Jackson Hole, Wyo., which his team won, but Slamal set an individual one-day record in this event that no one has come close to beating. After the Riverside store closed, Slamal ramped up his guiding service, teaching anglers how to fly-fish and catch stripers at Lake Skinner and Diamond Valley locally, and on the Green River in Wyoming right up until his death. The “white fly” trolling tactic so popular today on local striper lakes traces directly back to Bob Slamal who had pioneered its use with fly tackle and taught many anglers how it could adapt over to conventional trolling gear. When the Riverside store closed, Slamal said he was annually selling 400 dozen of what he jokingly called “Bob’s White Fly,” a relatively simple marabou streamer of Bob’s design that he had custom tied to his specifications”.

When trolling the “White Fly” a technique I learned from drift boat fishing a streamer called tugging works wonders and triggers an aggressive bite. It is the simple trick of tugging/pulling on the line randomly a foot or more of line. This causes the white fly to accelerate in the water and then pause in the water column and change direction triggering a bite.

I have caught stripers while "tugging" or "stripping" the fly and also while my rod rested in the holder. I have a half dozen of Bob's flies in different sizes. Funny that even after the fish have stripped all the marabou and flash off, leaving nothing but the chenille body, they were still hitting it. That's one thing that led me to conclude that minor differences in pattern don't really matter much. Size, general color family, and presentation depth.
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 03-19-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks for the tips, I've had a similar experience. One day at Castaic Lake there were stripers boiling around my boat and I couldn't get them to bite any top water lure I tried. Finally I tried using a really small 1/5 ounce Lip RipperZ™ Z Spoon , and had fish chasing it right away.