Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Crowley in the wind - Opener 2014

Default Crowley in the wind - Opener 2014

For a change of pace, and to keep an annual tradition alive, I trailered my boat up to Crowley for the Opener. We arrived late on Friday afternoon to some interesting conditions:

The fading light and snowfall actually made it hard to find the slip. But we tied her up for the night, and made the drive up to our condo in Mammoth Lakes. It was really coming down up there...

The next morning we awoke to over a foot of snow on the ground, and some beautiful scenery.

We made it down the hill and launched at 0600. Temperature at the launch ramp was a balmy 15 degrees. The skies were clear, and the wind was already up. We were prepared for the conditions, but with winds at sustained 25-30mph and gusts to 40mph, it more or less ruled out flyrodding. I had some conventional buddies along who really know how to work a downrigger. We trolled up some beautiful browns and bows. This was entertaining enough. I am no purist.

The next morning we had some overcast skies, and a brief reprieve from the winds. Temps were also about ten degrees warmer. During the lull before the wind came up, I was able to do some fly casting. I managed a few nice bows on streamers.

But all too soon, the fierce winds returned, and we went back to trolling. Most people were literally blown off the lake. We, having a seaworthy craft, stuck it out for the entire day.

Windchapped and sunburnt, but with grins on our faces, we ended the day, loaded up the boat, and made the long drive home. I wish I had been able to stick around for a couple more days because the weather was supposed to return to a more favorable state. The quality of the fish we encountered was definitely better than I'd seen in years past. I don't do a lot of trout fishing, so it's always a real treat to experience what the Sierras have to offer.

Awesome report and pics. Thanks for sharing. You weren't kidding about the sea-worthy boat.

awesome!
    what size is your boat?

Wow nice report and pics. im still looking into making my first trip out there