Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Schoolie Stripers in Perris Lake

You know mother nature, all its takes is one male and one female to find each other..........and just a trickle of running water somewhere and a little luck. Bamm.........................stripers everywhere........nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    These things are more problematic than quaggas. If this is true and they are spawning here say goodbye to bluegill, crappie, and most bass. This lake is too little to support them and to allow any other species to thrive. In my opinion, now let me have it. I know its coming, but these things are like the asian carp in the midwest.
    Agree......

" slabs are fun to catch"

Cm

It's possible that they came in from Silverwood, but unlikely. There were only an occasional Striped Bass in Perris before, as far as I know, and there were simply too many of them to be just an occasional fish last Friday. There was definitely a school of them which came my way for a while, most likely in the hundreds of fish.

Where I caught them is near the underwater inlet, indeed, but also where stripers would presumably spawn.

LOL HuskerRod. Striped Bass are very prolific. I think a large female can produce a staggering number of eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    Ohhhh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    I second that opinion!!

Clearly, I am in the minority. Crappie are much tastier than stripers no doubt but since I have a hard time locating the Crappie at Perris, I don't care for them there. Schoolie stripers may be easier to locate on the fishfinder - but not really sure about that. If I can bait and wait up a schoolie 10" striper and maybe watch out for their boils in the fall for some boil chasing, go stripers!!!!! Perris is closer to me than Skinner and I can tube it too.

Stripers are survivalists. How many fish can both live in salt and fresh?? Badass. I wouldn't be surprised if they learned to spawn without current! Isn't Canyon Lake in the same system....? ;)

(Darth Vader voice:) Never underestimate the power of the striped side.
    Last edited by Ian; 04-28-2014 at 01:28 PM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Clearly, I am in the minority. Crappie are much tastier than stripers no doubt but since I have a hard time locating the Crappie at Perris, I don't care for them there. Schoolie stripers may be easier to locate on the fishfinder - but not really sure about that. If I can bait and wait up a schoolie 10" striper and maybe watch out for their boils in the fall for some boil chasing, go stripers!!!!! Perris is closer to me than Skinner and I can tube it too.

Stripers are survivalists. How many fish can both live in salt and fresh?? Badass. I wouldn't be surprised if they learned to spawn without current! Isn't Canyon Lake in the same system....? ;)

(Darth Vader voice:) Never underestimate the power of the striped side.
    ?I think Canyon is too shallow to support Stripers...but one can dream :)

Are there stripers in Canyon Lake, Ian?

I am not that familiar with that lake. The San Jacinto River runs near Perris Lake but not into it, then it runs into Canyon Lake, so it's not exactly in the same system.

I have caught a couple of Yellow Bullheads in Perris Lake before, which I suspect came down from the Hemet Lake area through the San Jacinto river somehow during high water. The carp might have gotten into Perris Lake that way, too.

Oh, my wife and I ate the stripers for dinner today. They were tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Are there stripers in Canyon Lake, Ian?

I am not that familiar with that lake. The San Jacinto River runs near Perris Lake but not into it, then it runs into Canyon Lake, so it's not exactly in the same system.

I have caught a couple of Yellow Bullheads in Perris Lake before, which I suspect came down from the Hemet Lake area through the San Jacinto river somehow during high water. The carp might have gotten into Perris Lake that way, too.
    I thought Canyon Lake was part of that system, so probably not.

You have to suspect all lakes within that system may be getting stripers. Lake Dixon is part of that system. I have seen the underwater duct that pumps water into it from Silverwood (?). All these lakes have the current from that system. We never suspected Perris has stripers until about a decade ago, right? It CAN happen....
    Last edited by Ian; 04-28-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast