Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Schoolie Stripers in Perris Lake

Default Small Schoolie Stripers in Perris Lake

Hello everyone.

It's been a while since I have posted any reports, but I had a very unusual (but perhaps not in the future) catch two days ago.

I was planning to go to Silverwood Lake but it got too late with all my errands, so I headed to nearby Perris Lake and arrived at Sail Cove around 3:40 pm.

It was very windy and chilly, and the last people had just left the little fishing pier. They told me that bass (largemouth presumably) had been biting there earlier in the 12 inch range.

The water is lower than ever now, which is a good sign that people are working on the dam and the lake will subsequently be raised. The first wide spot in the pier was at the edge of the water sitting on the sand. The water last week was the murkiest ever at Perris, only about 6 inches or so visibility and very green. This Friday, visibility had increased to a foot or so.

Within a half hour, I had a good bite and caught a LMB of about 12 inches on a redworm, which I quickly released. This was already better than last week, because I was skunked then with nothing more than maybe a couple of nibbles, although I witnessed some people catching bass on plastics. (I was using worms.)

Anyway, around 5:30, I decided to try a microjig under a bobber. Nothing bit on it, so I put a piece of nightcrawler on it and casted out. As I worked it toward me, I had a good bite and hooked an active fish. I didn't know what it was, but when I saw a slash of silver in the murky water, I thought it was a trout. To my great surprise, when I got the fish up again, it was a small schoolie striped bass. I put it in my cooler, put another nightcrawler piece on my jig and cast out again. I immediately caught another one. After a bit of a lull, I caught two more stripers that were somewhat larger, back to back again. The last one was a bit after 6 p.m. After that, I didn't even have another bite, but I was very happy with my unusual catch. I would have taken photos there to prove that I was at Perris Lake, but I didn't have a camera with me. I stopped fishing around 7:15 p.m. and headed back home.

Anyway, I brought them home and took a few photos in the sink. The two largest were 11 inches, and the smallest was about 9 1/2 inches, which is still bigger than most of the ones I catch at Silverwood from the docks. LOL

Clearly, these fish have spawned at Perris Lake and are in the process of establishing themselves, so expect more for better or worse there. it might be bad news for the trout and other fish in the lake, but there is another species to catch there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stipedbassperris.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	43985  
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 04-27-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks for the report! Very unusual indeed, I've only heard of toad stripers caught once in a while.

Ohhhh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    Lol! Now I don't have to drive all the way to Silverwood for my weekly mercury dose.

These things are more problematic than quaggas. If this is true and they are spawning here say goodbye to bluegill, crappie, and most bass. This lake is too little to support them and to allow any other species to thrive. In my opinion, now let me have it. I know its coming, but these things are like the asian carp in the midwest.

Same here, Jag107. I had seen a few photos of large stripers from Perris, but not any of them in person before.

LOL Husker Rod and Ghetto Basster. That's why, although I was glad to catch them, I certainly didn't feel bad about taking them home for a meal. :)

Their numbers should be limited if possible. I wasn't sure if enough water is being pumped from Silverwood for these critters to spawn (since they spawn in running water), but now I have my answer.

They will eat other fish (all kinds) and compete with Bass and Crappie for fish to eat. There will still be Bluegill, Redear, Crappie, Largemouth Bass, Trout etc. but life will be more perilous for them.

Maybe when the dam repair is finished and the lake is brought back up, the increase in lake size will help some, Skinny. That should help the fishing overall, but the influx of water will also make for better spawning conditions for the stripers.

Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    OH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

muAHHAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh)

It doesn't necessarily mean that these small Stripers were spawned in the lake. They could have just been washed in through the aqueduct system just like the big ones that are in the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    It doesn't necessarily mean that these small Stripers were spawned in the lake. They could have just been washed in through the aqueduct system just like the big ones that are in the lake.
    +1, that area is right by where the water comes in. Still yet, I don't want anymore of these things in Perris. Bye Bye big crappie.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast