Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very small lake on Grand Avenue?

Default Very small lake on Grand Avenue?

Hello Socal Anglers,

Ever since I was young I always noticed a body of water off to the side while driving on Grand Ave... Passing by it a few days ago, I noticed a sign on the barbed-wire surrounding it... It said, "Walnut Creek Spreading Basin". At least I know what it's called now, but I don't know if it's worth fishing. I know it's illegal, but it wouldn't be the first time I've broken the law to fish a hole. I am 16 years old, and the West Covina fuzz are actually very friendly... I should know, I interviewed one for a school project, so I think I would be able to get off the hook (pun intended) easily!

I have heard rumors... Sunfish, LMB, snakehead??? Could it be true? Has anyone gone fishing there, and if so, when and how were the results?

Thanks,

~WCAngler

Quote Originally Posted by WCAngler View Post
    Hello Socal Anglers,

Ever since I was young I always noticed a body of water off to the side while driving on Grand Ave... Passing by it a few days ago, I noticed a sign on the barbed-wire surrounding it... It said, "Walnut Creek Spreading Basin". At least I know what it's called now, but I don't know if it's worth fishing. I know it's illegal, but it wouldn't be the first time I've broken the law to fish a hole. I am 16 years old, and the West Covina fuzz are actually very friendly... I should know, I interviewed one for a school project, so I think I would be able to get off the hook (pun intended) easily!

I have heard rumors... Sunfish, LMB, snakehead??? Could it be true? Has anyone gone fishing there, and if so, when and how were the results?

Thanks,

~WCAngler
    I have asked same question myself...my bro in law been long time ago and said more carp and catfish than anything else...have heard about sheephead and if there now bad news.Also very steep he said and prob. not worth fishing now...if go though PM me a report..i still fish a number of illegal places

3. Default

Lol, at first I thought you meant Arnold Reservoir, off Grand Ave, in Diamond Bar. Another sweet looking, fenced off spot.

The one by Ikea had at least one snakehead in it. Heard it was drained at one point. Search for the term "snakehead" on this forum and you'll find a long topic describing it

Yeah, thanks for the replies. I have been formulating a tiny plan in my head.

Sort of covering all bases: I would go and lure fish for bass and snakehead, while using catfish/carp doughbait on another rod. Any types of lures that would work good this time of year? They probably have zero pressure (if there are still fish in it) so they just might bite anything.

I don't know when I could go, but I want to go soon. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Any more information is well appreciated!

~WCAngler

Yes let us know how it goes, I would pass by it every day on my way home from work and wonder about the fish in there. I seen it drained many years ago and it looked pretty deep in the middle.

It used to have small bass and gills in it. Big cats and carp. Havent fishing it since early 2000s. But, I heard it got drained so I didnt feel it was worth the trespass.

This is what makes it so mysterious! Some people have said they don't catch anything, while last summer I heard a different from someone else. I used to have a pet LMB named Spunky... I went to Petco one day to buy some crickets for him, and one of the employees asked me what I was buying them for. I told him about my fish, and what species it was... blah, blah, blah. He then told me he had recently gone to a lake behind Ikea. I had already heard about, so I question him and he said, "I went with my buddies and we caught a lot of bass. Then we saw a small school of really huge fish *extends his arms apart all the way*, but they weren't biting."

I told him about the Snakehead, but he didn't know what I was talking about... Maybe there are still some big fish in there!

Anyone know what lures are good for bass this time of year? I could Google it, but I trust you guys more...

~WCAngler

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Lol, at first I thought you meant Arnold Reservoir, off Grand Ave, in Diamond Bar. Another sweet looking, fenced off spot.

The one by Ikea had at least one snakehead in it. Heard it was drained at one point. Search for the term "snakehead" on this forum and you'll find a long topic describing it
    BTW I read your post on the San Gabriel reservoir. Sounds awesome. Can you shed some light on it? Like why carp go after lures, how you got to the spot, and what type of crankbait you were using?

Sorry for all the questions, but I used to be an addict, and I cleaned up my life, and use fishing as a coping method. What's a better addiction than fishing, right?

Avoid the skunk fellow angler,

~WCAngler

WOW,
    Haven't thought about that spot since I was in my teens, 30 years ago.
    My friends and I used to fish there and catch tons of sun fish with velveeta.
    Never caught anything else though, but we weren't trying for anything else.
    Just was a way to kill a day in summer.
    Good Luck
    Robert
    <><

there's bass in it. fished it 4 months ago and we caught a couple of LMB. nohting big, 2-3 pounders. steep and hard to fish but its always worth a try.
    let us know how you do.

thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast