Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Need Help with Pier fishing in June

Default Need Help with Pier fishing in June

hello fellow anglers Im planning to take my family on Vacation out to sunny California in mid june. I don't know anything really about all the different kinds of saltwater fish that are out there or what to use to catch them. I live in Wyoming and fish tons for Trout Rainbows, browns, cutthroat, lake trout and go to Utah for tiger trout and albino trout( Electric Trout).

I also travel a lot to Utah and love fishing for panfish , small and largemouth bass, walleye, white bass etc.

Im planning on taking a 2000 mile round trip Grizzwald family vacation first to The Kings Canyon National park to see the huge sequoia and redwood trees then if I have enough saved up would like to take them to spend a couple days a Disneyland before making the 850+ mile trip back to Wyoming. While we are there I would love to try to go fishing off a pier in that area or close by or try fishing off the beaches if that's legal? I was out there a couple few yrs ago with my family at Disneyland we spent only a few hrs on the beach a couple evenings and I saw people fishing and I was wishing that I could try it. I make my own plastic baits and would really like to try to catch some salt water fish off of them. Im not against using bait I just love to catch fish off my plastic baits I make. but IF bait is the best way we will try to figure out what and where to buy some to get us into some fish

I have seen those barred surf perch they look cool. Im not picky Im looking for some fast action that my son and I could possibly get into if things go right. If the smaller fish are more action we would be happy catching snapping some quick pictures and releasing them. if other fish are available we are up to try catching anything. but with limited time maybe only half a day I want to try to catch some fish and would love to catch them off my plastic baits I make.

If you can help me out on what Pound Test lines in mono or braid would be good to use and what kinds of rods and reels would be the right size to fish with that would be great. Around here we use a lot of shimano 2500 and 4000 size open face reels with 4lb test to 10lb test line and some braided line for bass fishing. I have only fished once for halibut yrs ago in Alaska that was my only saltwater fishing, it was fun I caught 14 that were 35 to 45lbs each. the worst part was I got sea sick and said I would never go back on the saltwater again. so I was wondering if we were to use our reels and rods do you think that would be a bad move with the saltwater? I see cabelas and other places have saltwater reels and don't know if they are any different that regular spinning reels by the same companies.

I have only seen picture of people fishing off the piers it looks relaxing and fun. If Anyone can help me out It would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to private message me if you don't want to post info on the main forum.

Thanks again and good luck fishing this spring? Well I guess its summer out there. Yesterday it was 60 degs on my little boat fishing but woke up today to some snow on the lawn and bbq on the deck and 25degs with wind. that's what you get at 7000' elevation in Wyoming Thank You Perch

If you plan to hit the beach and fish the surf for half a day for some quick action, aiming for perch would be your best bet. The beaches can get crowded during summer and swimmers get the right of way, so you'll have to stay clear away from them when fishing.

Your gear sounds perfect for catching perch. Stick to the shimano 2500 reel size and 4lb-10lb test is good. Any of your bass rods would be fine. If you want to be able to cast further, then go with a rod 7' or longer. I would buy some gulp sandworms for the perch since it is basically "crack" to them. Give your plastics a try and you might even end up with a halibut or anything else really, but make sure you have the gulp sandworms if the fishing is slow. Use the search function because there should be a guide somewhere on here on how to get started on surf fishing. It'll have more advice/information then I can give you. Carolina rig/dropshot the sandworms on a size 6 or 8 hook with 1/4-3/4oz egg weight and make sure you keep your line tight so you can feel their nibbles/bites. Do some research on here on how to find structure. I'm probably forgetting something...

As for your gear, just rinse your stuff after in freshwater and make sure you don't put your reels in the sand or dunk them in saltwater. Look around and you can even hit up the harbor or jetties. I haven't fished the pier in awhile but someone else can chime in about that.

Good luck and sounds like you're doing the right thing by looking around and getting advice to up your chances on catching fish.

-Peter
    Last edited by PTN; 04-23-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Hey ptn thank you for the information I really appreciate it. If we had more time I would try to fish for other species but from what I have started reading here and utube videos those barred surf perch look like a fun fish to try for. I will surely get some of those Berkley sandworms for sure. I was thinking while reading your reply that I had a friend send a package of those sandworms they are I think 4" and they are a redish brown color he said they are Berkley powerbait brand baits. Can you recommend how much of one of those baits would you use on those small hooks? 1 1/2" ----> 2"+? thanks again perch

I forgot the rods I usually use around here for all species of fish are the 6' 6" St. Croix medium light rods but I do have a couple 7' ugly stick rods to. I think I also have a longer rod we use for trolling for trout. Do you think that's over kill for the those surf perch? I guess if I really want to go redneck style I could take along my 12' crappie rod. I have used it many times with 6 and 8lb test line fishing for trout and bass. I can cast a country mile with it with one of those smaller egg sinkers. it wont be hard to find me on the beach you just look for all the people running the other way as the sun on this white skin I have will blind most people. With snow most of the year I don't get out and tan much
    Last edited by perch; 04-23-2014 at 04:28 PM.

1.5-2" of sandworm is a good size for perch. Your St. Croix rods should be fine. I think the crappie and perch are pretty similar fish in size and fight, if you really want to bring your 12' rod . The lighter rod you go, the more fun you'll have fighting the fish. Well, that's just my theory anyways..

ptn already gave you some great info. and I will just add my 2 cents. First off, fishing the pier you do not need a license but on the sand you do. Just one thing to think about as far as expense. The gulp sand worms work great for perch and I usually use 1/2 of one on the hook. Fish these in the shallows (in the waves and white wash). Your custom plastics could definatly work also!
    I would try Newport or Balboa pier if your in the Anaheim area. Both have great potential. If you go at night (after 6:00 p.m.) parking is free at the pay meters!

June can be good for Leopard Sharks and Bat rays from the shallows to the middle of these piers. Best baits-squid, anchovies, and mackeral. All can be purchased at almost every liquor store down by the piers.

A sabiki or a small single hook tipped with squid could get you on some crazy mackeral fishing from the middle of the pier to the end of the pier if they are around. Halibut are usually caught from just beyond the waves to about the middle of the pier but that is just a reference point. Nothing is ever exact and trial and error will prevail. Lol

Good luck!

thanks 5150fishin for your added info and ptn to I really appreciate all the info for sure. I see you say to fish the waves and white water. Its funny how every fish species is different and where they are most of the time in the lake river or OCEAN dam ITS HUGE

the last time I took my wife and kids for a few hrs to Huntington beach on the south end we were there until it started getting toward dark. not sure its the best place to fish but we had fun looking for sea shells and I had 1/8- 1/4mile of the beach that was almost completely clear of anyone No swimmers, surfers and late night suntaners. I will definitely have the sandworms a long and will probably try them first and have my son hooked up with some. if we get into some I will then switch to my plastics that I make as it would be cool to add some other fish I have caught off of them to the list and get some pictures to.

I paid for parking as its cheaper than a ticket im sure and getting a fishing license wont be a problem either as I go to other states to fish and we always make sure to get them. I don't want any run ins with the law it makes for alot better memories of the beach and fishing

do you guys think that morning or evening is better? and do you think durning the day will possibly be any good? thanks perch

Huntington Beach can be a great beach to fish also. As for night time versus morning I think the tidal swings are more important than the time of day. Low tide shows you structure which could be hiding fish during the high tide. I have had luck at all times of the day. I am no expert by any means. Look at Reports from the SWAT guys because they are the most knowledgeable surf fishermen and woman around. Hey have a plethora of knowledge that can benefit you!
    Last edited by 5150fishn; 04-23-2014 at 10:25 PM.

thanks 5150fishin for the added information. I will definitely check out the SWAT posts and other info. Im really hoping all works out and we get out there I would love to spend at least one day if possible wetting a line.