Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balboa Pier Mack Attack 4/18 & 4/19

Default Balboa Pier Mack Attack 4/18 & 4/19

With catfish season coming and rumors of Macks hitting local piers I decided to go Friday night and try to get some bait.
    Arrived at the pier at 9:00 p.m. to find the pier crowded and macks flying over the rails. Woohoo!
    Found a spot 3/4 down the pier and rigged a sabiki with squid! Toss it over and it gets hammered quick! 3 macks come over the rail. Woohoo!!! After about 10 minutes I cut all the hooks off but 1. Less tangles from the boiling macks. Left the pier at 11:45 with the macks in a bag. Get home and toss them in the garage freezer and off to bed. In the morning I get up with my 5yr old daughter Sammie and let wifey sleep in and take Sammie to a local Easter Egg Hunt. (bank 1 hall pass) Lol!

Get back and Sammie and I proceed to put the macks I caught on the grass to wash them off and bag them up into manageable ziplocks.

I count them 3 times, What are the odds of ending up with 57 macks, are you kidding me!!!!Team 57 luck I tell you!
    Sent the photo to fellow Team 57 bro Rooster.

Rob and his crew are excited and decide to head out that night. I give them the intel and go on with my day.
    But all I could think about was, Could I? Should I? Lol
    I decide why not and throw out my earlier gained hall pass from my great wife. Call Rob and tell him I'm taking my daughter hiking but will meet them there later tonight.
    Leave the house at 8:00 and call Rob and he says they have about 5 but the bite is gone!!! Bummer
    Get to the pier and it becomes very apparent that Rob has been fishing very little and untangling and re-rigging alot! Lol
    So I toss the hoop net over to see if any crabs wanted to play and then the boils began again. I took over some tangle and re-rigging issues so that Rob could get some action like I had the night before.
    At 1 point I was taking a mack off of a hook when it self released and I ended up with a hook buried in my thumb! Ouch!!!
    Nothing a pair of pliers and a good tug can't fix. Lol

At the end of the night we had another 60 macks for bait stock. SWEET

Night ended with my hoop net snagged on something on the pier though. I could litterally lift it a foot out of the water but something that we couldn't see was holding on to 1 side. Pulled every direction to try and free it but all I retrieved was a broken rope! Lol
    Lost a conical style hoop net with who knows what in it but I really didn't care. Great fishing with great friends. Doesn't get any better than that.

If you are looking for macks for bait or whatever,you might want to hit the piers now. It was off the hook!!!
    Last edited by 5150fishn; 04-21-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: report dissapeared

Man that was some fun times! Great to be out there again with you Dan. The kids had a blast ! Thanks for sharing the duties untangling all the bird nests.

I never seen them boiling like that in my life! That was something we all will never forget! Great report

Nice going on the macs. I can remember fishing balboa pier 20 years ago and man it didn't matter what time you went it was always wide open on the macs.

Nice job on the saba! On some of the long range trips I've gone on, the bait fishing was some of the most fun...maybe cuz it was a little less serious and a lot more foolin around goin on. Great to hear that the bait is stacked up that much out there! Good luck on the getting those slimers on Mr. Whiskers!

Don

Nice going stacking the macks for kitty season....OUCH on the buried hook (quite the rush huh! )

See you soon Dan.

TD

that's a fun way to get ready for the kitty fish Plus you got to spend time with your daughter doing it - good job!

Nick

Thanks for the report. I'm going to need to stack up on some macks for bait.

-Peter

Nice Saba slay,must of been fun,awesome way to have a great time and acquire free bait,WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

NICE! Your report went a long way in helping out one of my pastors at church and his sons get onto their first fish! Thank you!

Skunked4life

nice catch and that sounds like a ton of fun other than the hook in your thumb. that's better than your lip I was fly fishing with a friend when he decided that my fat 240lb lip would be a fun fight on a fly rod he laughed luckily we had some side cutters I pushed it threw and cut the barb off and back to fishing with him fishing about 50yards away a safe distance.

I have never used a sabiki rig how small of hooks do they have? do you guys use any glow in the dark baits attached to them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast