Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: spinning rockfish at DPH 4-26

Default spinning rockfish at DPH 4-26

Got an itch last Friday and decided to try flipping a texas rig into the kelp at night. I was getting quite a few bites but nothing was sticking. Usually do better on the inside on the long jetty but it was closed due to the high surf. switched it up to a small crawdad pattern spinner bait and banged it along the rocks. picked off 2 small grass rockfish 8in and 10in. had a spottie slam it but jumped out of the water and spit the hook like a largemouth. fun to watch though. had to call it a night early as the rain started coming down hard. fished from 7:30pm until 10:30. I can't wait to try some spinners in some deeper, more productive water.

wow looks like a lot of fun to me. thanks for the fishing report and pictures.

Impressive. For some reason it blows my mind that freshwater lures catch saltwater fish. ANARCHY!!!

isnt it amazing how a single species can be so variable in appearance in such a small area?

Love those grass bass. That second one has a really nice color to it. I've never seen them in a greenish tone. BTW, may I ask what lb line you were using for your spinnerbait?

Nice going with the fresh water gear. Always makes me wonder what the heck a fish thinks it is when it slams a spinnerbait. Hope you find that deep, productive spot.

Don

I was using 65lb spiderwire stealth. That's what I use when flipping the kelp at night. I would probably recommend 25-40 lb braid or 10-15lb mono, unless your throwing a big spinnerbait then well, how thick do they make braid?... lol. Night fishing is my most productive time for fishing harbors. Brings the big boys in from the depths. I always use the biggest line I can get away with, if its 6lb floro for corbina in the surf, or the heaviest braid I can cast with my castaic.