Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easter Sunday session Newport Harbor

Default Easter Sunday session Newport Harbor

Decided to hit the low tide at Newport harbor this morning with a buddy of mine. Hit Balboa island and started walking the beachs fishing the docks.

Fished a Halloween colored 3" big hammer on a 1/4 head. Real slow day today but am figuring it had something to do with the massive amount of eel grass that was in the water.

Unfortunately didn't end up with any spotties but still had a good time out.

If anyone has any tips for fishing newport harbor for bass from the beaches I would much appreciate it. First time I have tried walking the beaches in the bay so any help would be great.

I think your doing the right thing for some reason the spottie bite has almost stopped I was thinking weather but not sure whats up.. it is like this every where...

Nice try out there. I haven't targeted spots in a long time, and when I did, it was at night, but I always seemed to do a little better in early spring and tapering off as summer approached. Maybe something to do with their spawning cycles. Maybe the bite also tapered off around the last full moon we had. Not real sure but at least you got on em for a little while there.

Don

Water movement in the harbor is the key to success because it moves the bait around. Unfortunately this morning though it was too drained which can be a real problem to species that spend their entire lives in the harbor itself. When ever there is a scenario where it drains completely it moves the fish off the structure and really screws up the stability of their environment. Try fishing the harbor when the tide swing isn't so big that it remains flooded around familiar structure. A 3 or 4 ft swing is much better than a swing from 5.2 down to 0.00 . This AM it was drained too much and then the incoming wasn't that great either which probably just threw them off as far as the grey light bite goes. When I used to hammer the harbor a decade ago my buddy and I would always look for an outgoing tide with good movement to coincide with grey light or the sun downer. Even at night time but the secret is water movement.
    But hey.....The vibe in the harbor is always nice and there are plenty of places to eat on a beautiful Easter sunday so....it's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by benichi View Post
    I think your doing the right thing for some reason the spottie bite has almost stopped I was thinking weather but not sure whats up.. it is like this every where...
    That makes me feel better about knowing the bite has dropped. It's a little rough trying to figure out if it's me or the fish.

At least you got out. Lol
    One of my customers hits it pretty regularly and says it pretty much shut down lately so its not just you.
    Thanks for the report.

Hi Dude

sorry you didn't get too feel the rod bend from a critter at the other end but at least you got to get out there. And what a beautiful place and a gorgeous day it was. Keep at it bro!!!

Nick

Went out last Thursday and it was a good tide/water movement. drifted from the opening all the way down to the Coast Guard station. Got 1 sand bass and a lot of lizards. the bay is full of bait fish. Probably Grunion, metered tons of bait in big balls all over. Tried a fools bait ghost shrimp on a 1/4 oz lead head not a strike one. switched to mu clear with red flake 4" grub and got 3 under size flatties. Well until next time tight lines and sharp hooks.

Dude...I have fished those waters endlessly and have had mixed results. All I can say is listen to the guys that replied above re the tidal movement. Sound advice which yielded good results for me in the past. It eliminates some variables and increases your chances of catching!

Skunked4life

the bite has been good lately try little balboa I always get bit there pm for more info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast