Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Ghostly Encounter While Fishing with the SWAT Lieutenant. Thursday 4/17

Default A Ghostly Encounter While Fishing with the SWAT Lieutenant. Thursday 4/17

Hello fellow Surf Pirates, this is my first report in a long time. Been fishing here and there and catching a few, but too lazy to post up reports.
    I'm going to write this report as quickly as possible, because I'm heading out for another afternoon session.
    Last Thursday Mike aka Lt. Bones asked me if I would like to join him for a late evening surf session. The plan was to fish from sundown and hang around to fish during the Grunion run.
    Met Mike at the spot late in the evening and started throwing the LC. There were birds diving everywhere!!! We both got some Perch, Yellow Fin Croakers and a few short Halibut.

Then at last light something grabbed my LC and ran off like no tomorrow. We initially thought that it was a big Leopard Shark or something until about 10-15 minutes later when we saw a huge flash of silver in the surf. Mike yelled out White Sea Bass, a BIG ONE!!! My heart was beating right out of my chest and I was struggling for a couple of minutes to get the fish past the last deep trough in front of us. Where is that frickin' big wave when you need it to help push the fish on the beach??? Mike saw that I was having problems getting the fish on the sand so he whipped out his Boga Grip and went after it for me. I was a little worried because Mike is kinda old and his vision isn't quite what it used to be, hahaha. But after a couple of tries, the lieutenant successfully clamped the Boga Grip on the bottom lip of the beast and dragged it to the shore.

We both looked at each other and then jumped, danced and screamed like a couple of teenage girls at a Justin Beiber concert, lol
    This is my first ever White Sea Bass from the surf and it's a beast. Since I'm not SWAT, yet, I think I'm allowed to keep my PB, lol
    It taped out at 41 inches and weighed 24 lbs.

We took some pics and sent them to commander Wingnut. He text back with something like @#!%&$#@!$@!... hahaha

We took a break and got something to eat and hit the surf again, hoping that the Grunion brings in more monster Ghosts.
    The Grunion did show up around midnight, but all we caught was a couple more short halibut.
    All in all a great session.

Mike, you are my friend, mentor and part of the original Pirate Crew. Thank you for inviting me and helping me land the Ghost. Let's do it again soon bro.

Hope you guys enjoyed the report, you may not see another one from me in awhile, lol

Lucas - BIGRED KILLA - Ginger Rules!

Sorry about the crappy pics on my phone.

One of the many shorts.

41" / 24 lbs

Lt. Bones feeling a little constipated.

A few Grunions showed up.

BIG CONGRATS Lucas!!! That's a trophy fish...probably the biggest I've heard of from the surf. Looks like the late runs out on those grounds paid off big. Well done man. Mike was telling me all about it and I couldn't be happier for you. Sounds like an epic battle! You're just lucky the "old guy" didnt keal over from shear envy!

Awesome job!
    Don

First and foremost..... HAPPY 24TH BIRTHDAY TODAY LUCAS !
    Almost a quarter century old and to think...I already went over the half century hump and I'm picking up downhill momentum!

Gawd...I almost just choked on my oxygen tube and fell over my walker. I swear I just saw Justin Beiber standing in the light on a long stairway to heaven

Lupus ....um.... errrrrrrrrr.... I mean LUCAS.... I LOVE YA MAN! You give me too much credit (seriously) and I appreciate how you try to not outshine me in this long awaited report but truth be known... I'm freaking jealous of the BEAST and you totally out fished me by my standards.
    My biggest WSB from the sand is 37" and I always considered it a monster until Tess nailed that 39" last year and now a fellow ginger shows me up in a spot I convinced him to fish with me.
    All kidding aside Red..... I've known you since you were 16 and you are absolutely the most enjoyable fishing partner/friend a person could ask for. Funnier than hell....easy going and totally down for just about anything at any time. We have float tubed the harbors...fished the Sierras and hit the surf together for almost a decade not to mention we were also part of the "Pirate Crew" in the Team57 days.
    I'm looking forward to many more adventures in the future Bro!
    You truly deserved this monster White Sea Bass my friend (btw...it was 42") and I will never forget the look on your face. I'm still a little traumatized though by what you did AFTER you hugged me but that will be our little secret !
    OK?....

Take care...Mike aka Lt. Bones------<><
    Last edited by bones; 04-19-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Beautiful WSB Lucas...
    It's hard to believe that is your first from the surf.
    Congratulations and keep up the good work..
    Robert
    <><

holy moly. beautiful fish! congrats on your amazing catch man!

whats up man,

I too received the pic and my jaw dropped. Completely frikin jealous bro, specially because I've lost a wsb and managed to never land one.
    So that itch follows me around every single surf session.
    Congrats on this epic catch, 41" of WSB is insane, beautiful frikin fish.
    I'll see ya around ;)

Very nice job Lucas, thats gonna be hard to beat bro! And do tell Bones, lol. Got some geritol for ya when our paths cross.

Thanks for the report, great job!!!!

Tim

It's pretty awesome to catch a ghost anywhere anytime,from the surf,and that size,amazing!

Cya Tuna Vic

That is one heck of a catch. Congrats on the epic ghost, always fun see what is potentially out there in the surf.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast