Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Newport Harbor 4/29

Default Newport Harbor 4/29

With the heat wave we are having I figured what better day to hit the harbor after work for some bass fishing since its usually cooler at the beach. Wrong. It was hotter then hot and not to mention also windy. Noticed the low tidal movement and upon suggestions given decided to try my luck. Got to Balboa Island around 4 pm and started throwing a bay smelt colored 3" Big Hammer. walked the shore line and fished the docks for close to an hour before switching up to a halloween colored big hammer.

About this time the wind was getting a little nastier and I noticed that my line during my casts would get picked up by the wind and get wrapped around the docks. Needless to say within 20 minutes I lost three big hammers and 3 lead heads.

After the 3rd lost lead head I decided to pack it up and head home.

Unfortunately the bass escaped me once again but their time is coming I can feel it.

Default Skunked AGAIN !!!

Skunked Again at the Bay HUH !!!

Yeah I was there today to, and you just have to throw your stuff according to the wind speed and where your going

to place the bait, lure, swimmy etc. My problem to, was the line slack in the howling wind, that snagged me up sometimes,

but the drop for Halibut today seemed to work !

Quote Originally Posted by fishshep View Post
    Skunked Again at the Bay HUH !!!

Yeah I was there today to, and you just have to throw your stuff according to the wind speed and where your going

to place the bait, lure, swimmy etc. My problem to, was the line slack in the howling wind, that snagged me up sometimes,

but the drop for Halibut today seemed to work !
    ya I am starting to get a bit frustrated with Balboa Island to say the least.

At least you got out and gave it a shot. Skunks are a unfortunate part of this hobby we love, but I'll take a skunk while fishing than being at work every time! Lol
    Your time is coming for an epic day!

this is precisely why I t-rig in the harbor. :P

You can finesse it and jig higher in the water column with a t-rig

Tough goin out there. Don't give up though, your payback is coming soon!

Don