Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bassin with Irvine bass guru Don Spencer

Default Bassin with Irvine bass guru Don Spencer

Most of the guys who fish regularily at Irvine know that when it comes to fishing knowledge, few compare to local guide Donnie Spencer. Catfish shudder and trout shake when they hear his name....and the bass get sore lips just hearing the sound of his trolling motor! Aside from all that you couldn't meet a nicer guy.

I had the pleasure of jumping on board Don's Ranger this past Sunday for some insane bass fishing at the Vine. I rarely fish the green fish these days, but I like to think I'm a quick learner on the water (okay I know how to copy what someone is doing when their catching fish! ) So after a quick debriefing we launched the boat just after 6am....nice to be doing so at the main ramp now!

It wasn't too long after launching Don got on the board....no surprise there!

This would become a recurring theme throughout the day as I tried to hold my own as the newbie...

I knew my time would come with some perserverance, my first fish of the day came less than an hour into the day on a dead sticked senko

Once "we" figured out the pattern, bites came at a fast a furious pace and fish started coming over the rail left and right!

Another chunky Irvine bass....

AND another....

getting ready for the up and over manuever

Oh yeaaaah

Sharing a little intel and spreading the love to some fellow bassers....unlike many "pros", Don is willing to share his info and even his hot baits (he passed out quite a few different plastics we were catching them on to guys who weren't doing quite as well, very cool )

Oh and just to show the ramp actually is open for business....

Our half day trip ended up being almost a full day adventure, total fish count was pushing close to 40 but I honestly lost track after 30 fish Obviously with those kinds of numbers it was a successful day of catching, but the value of this experience went beyond the catching part. I learned a ton of valuable information and was treated to an on the water education that I can put to use for many trips to come.

If you are hardcore into bassing and want to step up your game, or just a beginner trying to get on some fish I would highly reccomend Donnie Spencer's guide service. Here is the link although you can find it here on FNN as well
    :
    http://donfishon.com/index.php

Donnie thank you again for an awesome day on the water....I had a blast out there!

TD
    Last edited by troutdog; 04-16-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Great report and pics Aaron! Man Donnie can make anyone look like a bass pro! Lol
    But seriously though, nice job on the piggies bro! Donnie is one of the nicest guys on the lake and you
    can't go wrong learning from him. He knows that lake like the back of his hand.

Glad to hear your guide trip was an epic success. A trip full of knowledge and good times for sure!

Love all those pics BassDog Congrats on the awesome day out bro

Awesome report. Sounds like Don is a great character and a true fisherman. I'm glad to see the water level is up at Irvine and that the main launch ramp is being use again. Congrats to to both of you...

Quote Originally Posted by 5150fishn View Post
    Great report and pics Aaron! Man Donnie can make anyone look like a bass pro! Lol
    But seriously though, nice job on the piggies bro! Donnie is one of the nicest guys on the lake and you
    can't go wrong learning from him. He knows that lake like the back of his hand.

Glad to hear your guide trip was an epic success. A trip full of knowledge and good times for sure!
    Yeah I was feeling like I knew what I was doing pretty quickly with Don at the helm...I definitely suggest anyone who is interested in understanding these fish better to book a trip. The on the water classroom experience while hooking fish was priceless! See you soon Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Love all those pics BassDog Congrats on the awesome day out bro
    Thanks Rob, I can see how these fish can get you hooked big time....not ready to have you start looking for a bass boat for me quite yet, but man what a incentive!

Quote Originally Posted by Micropterus salmoides View Post
    Awesome report. Sounds like Don is a great character and a true fisherman. I'm glad to see the water level is up at Irvine and that the main launch ramp is being use again. Congrats to to both of you...

Thank you for the kind words...and you definitely nailed it on the nose about Donnie. Thanks for taking a moment to comment on the report and good luck out there when you hit the water!

TD

WTG TD!!! you guys slayed, great report and awesome pics!!!! thanks for sharing!!!

Tony G

Thanks Rob, I can see how these fish can get you hooked big time....not ready to have you start looking for a bass boat for me quite yet, but man what a incentive!

By Wednesday Rob will have bought and sold three bass boats, you won't have to wait long.

Awesome report man, looks like you had a rewarding day on the water!

What a trip!!! There's nothing like fishing
    With somebody that know's a lake......

Cm

Thanks for the great report--esp the ramp info. I haven't been to the lake since before last summer :-o I'm going tomorrow with my daughter for some bass. Is the water pretty clear there now? Your fish looked chunky, not spawned out yet--correct? Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast