Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVL, a Blood Moon and an Algal Bloom

Default DVL, a Blood Moon and an Algal Bloom

Neither of which hampered catching fish. As a matter of fact the fishing is off the charts and the only thing the algae did was stain the notoriously Gin clear water and lit a reaction bait fire. We launched the boat and promptly arrived at our first spot and began throwing blades, first cast I was 4 turns into the retrieve and got a hard bump, 3 more turns and POW it's game on and boated the first fish of the day, a nice healthy 4lber. Second cast I got bumped quickly 3 times then POW fish #2 on it's way and boated another solid 4lber. 2 more casts and POW fish #3 is on and is yet another 4lber in the bag. Now it's my buddy's turn and he boats a solid 4lber. Looks like we found a generation hangout eh? Anyway my buddy's next cast lands him hi and dry on land and of course snagged so he moves in to free it up which of course shut the bite down on that spot so we start moving down the bank and about 35ft down I get slammed again and yet another 4lbr on the deck. Kept moving and about 50ft further fish #5, yet another 4lber is on the deck. This is some serious fun man. Over 20lbs in the first 1/2hour.

We covered our first stop pretty well then instead of turning around and heading back up the bank we decided to hit up another spot across the lake before the sun rose up higher, and when we got there we immediately began throwing the blades but didn't hit anything, I knew there was a good rock structure in about 20ft of water there so I grabbed the jig rod and started popping it around the structure, pop pop pop POW fish on and boated a nice solid 3 1/2lber. Probed some more on the rocks but didn't get bit so down the bank we go throwing blades and just a couple of seconds down POW another 3lb blade fish hits the deck. Get down to the pocket and I mark a couple of fish in the creek channel right below us so I dropped a jig straight don, as soon as it hit the bottom POW fish on and a 4lber is on board. Tried for the other mark but no go so onward we go sticking a few more 2-3lbers on the blade.

3rd stop is a point on the Northwest side that I've caught several big pigs on and here I opt for the jig right away while my buddy keeps throwing the blade. About the 4th cast I was about 10ft into the retrieve when POW my rod goes bendo big time, this was a huge hit and had my rod bent almost to a 180, no hook set needed and I just leaned into it and began reeling, this is a monster and peeled line my 12lb off quickly, peel reel, peel reel, peel reel SNAP! WTF!!! My line snapped 2ft out from the tip of my rod with about 40ft of line out and I have no idea why it did that. That was a monster kicker lost. Ah well retied another jig and fan-casted the structure for no more bites so I picked up the blade again, we worked our way down the bank and stuck a few more 2-3lbers then headed out. We ended up sticking blade-fish just about everywhere we went.

As the day wore on the bite slowed, but didn't stop and near the end of the day we decide to hit the East dam wind chop. We started at the South-east side but found the pocket covered with a 2" cap of green sludge so we threw the blades along the sludge line and promptly boated a couple of more 2-3lb fish then started heading north along the damn throwing blades and catching a few more as we went then I got a huge hit and it was on, this thing is fighting furiously. My rod was bendo'd big time and line was peeling, I thought I had a lunker bass and after a few minutes I got the fish close to the boat when it finally broke the surface and algae I saw I had this;

A 6lber and it was caught on this;

Yup, a Stripey caught on a blade.

We decided to finish the day fishing the marina cove and kept getting bumped but nothing stuck. Finished the day having a good convo with Matt while fishing the rocks he was standing on next to the ramp. We had a great day on the water. The water turbidity is perfect for reaction baits and yes your gear is gonna get gunked up but who cares, the bite is off the charts. 19 LMB's and 1 Stripey boated for the day...
    Last edited by HawgZWylde; 04-16-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Very good day.....thanks for the post. Interesting to see the twin tail on the spinnerbait - More vibration, more bulk, slowing it down?

Quote Originally Posted by ddoskocil View Post
    Very good day.....thanks for the post. Interesting to see the twin tail on the spinnerbait - More vibration, more bulk, slowing it down?
    Thank you, you're welcome, and yes indeed all of the above. Funny thing is, that's a Strike King KVD blade that I painted up and it lasted all day. I normally use a shad patterned blade that costs twice as much and I'm lucky if I get 1/2 as many fish without it blowing apart...
    Last edited by HawgZWylde; 04-16-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Great report Hawgs!

How about some pictures of those LMB?

It's nice to hear a little news about striper at DVL.

Nice job on the "Bycatch" Pat, did ya keep it or C&R like the UGC???

Nice fish!

Taco time at the hawgz ranch

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Nice job on the "Bycatch" Pat, did ya keep it or C&R like the UGC???
    It shed it's blood on my filet board. No Stripey survives after hitting the deck of our boat...

Great day of fishing HawgZ! I've only caught a couple fish on the spinnerbaits. It was a lot of fun though. I tried throwin one for a little bit Monday for no love. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Great report Hawgs!

How about some pictures of those LMB?

It's nice to hear a little news about striper at DVL.
    Thanks Ron. I will be posting some LMB eye candy soon. Just have to go through them and not give up certain spots...

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Nice fish!

Taco time at the hawgz ranch

Thanks Mike. Yup, my wife makes damn good ones man...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast