Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY! My first halibut

Default FINALLY! My first halibut

So…
    A friend of mine took me surf fishing. It was cold, the waders leaked and didn't catch S***, but I liked it and was dumb enough to stick with it. He told me about catching halibut and took me to all his secret spots where he caught halibut.
    THAT WAS OVER 5 YEARS AGO!!! I've caught big perch, guitarfish, leos and some other random fish, but NO halibut! I was starting to think my friend was a liar, and I'd have a better chance catching a unicorn than a hali. I've read all the tips in the forums, admired all of the halibut photos and cussed at each of them. After this long I had pretty much given up and figured the only halibut I was getting was in a sushi bar. but then yesterday….. (cue the choir of angels)

MY FIRST!

water temp: no idea, don't care. all very foggy after catching the fish.
    water: really f-ing clear.
    air temp: awesome
    using LC-110, with custom paint job, thanks to this forum.

it hit about 5-6 yards from where I was standing so it wasn't much of a fight. I thought it was going to be another gtrfish, but then I saw the white, the flat and the round. (a Clint Eastwood fishing movie) I thought NO! then DO NOT LOSE THIS FISH. I pulled it back about 600 yards away from the shoreline so it couldn't get back into the water. You can never be too careful.
    Bad news, it wasn't legal size but close. guessing 19", but again I didn't care. I didn't have a tape on me but I have 22" marked on all of my rods and he didn't make the cut. Things have been rough, I would been thrilled with a 6". At this point I've been hoping for a species that has the same number of syllables as hal-i-but.

I took 3 pictures. one of the fish, and then 2 with it next to my rod. my rod & fish picts glitched out and I ended up getting a picture of my boot instead, so enjoy that one. Maybe I was too excited and I glitched out.
    ENJOY!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hali.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	43878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boot.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	43879  

Congrats on the hali!!! Let the addiction begin...

nice job man!!! catching fish in the surf is always a trip to me great job on finding the hali!!!

Nice going on the first. Here's to hearing bout that legal that should be coming in soon! As for that other three syllable fish...if its what I think it is, they don't call em ghosts for nothin'! And you thought getting a flattie was tough, but that's the allure of all of this...it's a great quest with a very sweet taste of success when it all comes around. Go get em!!!

Don

Congrats... nothing gets you pumpin' like seeing a first and/or personal best on the other end of your line!

Congrats on your first. It took me almost 6 months but there is no better feeling. Tight lines :)

Hi ya Salsabandit,

Now that's perseverance and patience!

You have finally beached your targeted species! "Congratulations"!

I look forward to reading more of your reports and hopefully your next report will be of your legal!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan <"))><

thanks for all of the kind words, hopefully it's not another 5 yrs 'til I post picts of a legal size.

Nothing like that first inspiring shortie to get ya pumped up. To be honest....Shorties like that can have as much spunk if not MORE than a legal. I've been fooled many times until they hit the sand. Best thing is that it is a REAL confidence builder and trust me....That exact spot will be etched in your mind for a long time.

Great job and I'm looking forward to seeing that first legal real soon!
    Last edited by bones; 04-16-2014 at 05:31 AM.

One condition you will find that is consistent with good halibut fishing in the surf is as you put it.

"water: really f-ing clear."

Halibut on the beach seem to bite best in really clear water.. It's certainly not what I would consider a favorable condition for calico bass or white seabass but halibut really like clear water.. Just something to keep in mind in look for on future outings..

JerryG
    Last edited by jerryG; 04-16-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast