Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castaic on Saturday 4/12/14, Motor Test and Striper Slaying

Default Castaic on Saturday 4/12/14, Motor Test and Striper Slaying

Well, after finding oil running from my motor while tying the boat down, I've been bumming rides for at least a month and a half. Thank you Bassfan, Capt'n, Striper Mike and DMS for the kind invites. You kept me fishing when I should have been working on my motor.

After I made a few false starts trying to get the lower unit fixed up and finding more and more trouble, I finally took the lower unit to Amir at Mobile Boat Service in Canyon Country. Amir always does a good job and he got it back to me in a week.

While the lower unit was in the shop, I took the covers off of the motor, filled chips and cracks, sanded, painted and did the maintenance. I reassembled the motor Thursday and Friday evenings.

Here's the motor Friday evening before dark. I wouldn't pay me to do painting but, I work cheap.

I met Ron at Gallion's corner on Saturday morning and we were off. We talked to Bassfan in line during the perfect time to fish and soon we were allowed to launch.

The motor started right up, both gears work etc. I'm happy.

Ron and I cruised the fish arm looking for activity and when we found a few schools DMS pulled up and anchored on one of them without looking around for them. I'd say he knew where they were. We had set up to troll the ones that were outside of those and soon picked a little one up. That was it though, the others wouldn't play.

We trolled on down to Elizabeth Canyon and back up the lake. We found some small schools but no takers.

We stopped by and talked to Bassfan at his supersecretbaitspot. He hadn't gotten any but got a small one while we talked and he had caught one on the troll earlier.

After that we went over and baited down with DMS. I asked if setting up next to him would be OK and he said "Sure go right ahead!". Well I really wound up too close but being lazy our solution was to fish out of the far side of the boat from him. When the wind would drive us together I could have touched his poles with one of mine if I had tried. Thanks Dan for being so good to us. I enjoyed catching up with you. At least we didn't need to yell.

We managed a few before the striper got really picky. They started touching the bait once or twice and swimming off.

Around 1:00 Dan and Lulu had there limit and pulled out. I think they had a 5 pounder and a 3 pound kicker to top off their limit.

Ron asked if I'd mind leaving around 3:00 and I agreed so we pulled out with only 18 fish landed.

I caught 13 and released 5.
    Ron caught 5.

I pulled ahead of him because when the fish got picky I was still hooking some.

Here's Ron with some of our fish at Gallion's on the way home.
    Last edited by fishinone; 04-15-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank Capt'n

Nice day Ron. Glad to see your back & running.

Nice job on the motor and the stripers Ron, motor cowling looks kinda stealthy! Warmer days are on the way, and Mr stripey is gonna die!!!!.....................Dave

Ron,
    Good Fishin, good friends. Happy to catch up and glad you are back in the water. It was a good day, even though it could have easily not been so great! Lulu cooked up some striper for dinner.
    DMS

that's good news on the boat ron ,now you can get back to that striper slayin,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Nice day Ron. Glad to see your back & running.
    Thanks Brian, Having my going was so nice that getting some fish was just a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by catchingsomefish View Post
    Nice job on the motor and the stripers Ron, motor cowling looks kinda stealthy! Warmer days are on the way, and Mr stripey is gonna die!!!!.....................Dave
    Thanks CSF, It's been so warm all winter that I forgot that warm weather is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    Ron,
    Good Fishin, good friends. Happy to catch up and glad you are back in the water. It was a good day, even though it could have easily not been so great! Lulu cooked up some striper for dinner.
    DMS
    For those who don't know Lulu is like a chef, Dan is talking about some really good food.

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    that's good news on the boat ron ,now you can get back to that striper slayin,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,
    Just when you thought it was safe!

I really didn't miss much fishing though, Bassfan, Capt'n, Striper Mike and DMS kept me going.

Holy Crap Ron you have transformed your boat into DARTHVADER. Them Stripy's are gonners for sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Holy Crap Ron you have transformed your boat into DARTHVADER. Them Stripy's are gonners for sure
    Lol. I could put on a striper slay just by thinking about it.

Ron,
    Here's a couple of my photos to add to the report. See you out there soon!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2716_zps715c6a76.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	43897  
    Last edited by DMS; 04-15-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    Ron,
    Here's a couple of my photos to add to the report. See you out there soon!

Seeing your fish makes me wish that I hadn't gone exploring earlier. I wanted to look around because it was my first chance in a while. I expect it to pay off eventually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast