Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Hodges 4/5/14

Default Hodges 4/5/14

Tough day at Hodges yesterday. First time that I fished the lake and I really like the structure/water color etc just couldn't get the bass to bite. I donated about $40 worth of lures to lake as well which is frustrating. I will definitely be going back to try again in the future. Any tips are appreciated. I threw cranks, spinnerbaits, jigs, and senkos through the course of the day. Water temp was just under 67 degrees.

ebomb

Been awhile since I've fished there,but last time I went we did ok,we used mostly plastics,big worms,lizards,and other creature baits,no hard baits.

Cya Tuna Vic

3. Default

Night Crawlers? if not they always work

8 inch brown worms with blue stripe. Fish them with a split shot and weedless in the narrows. Work them really slow. Twitch and wait. Lots of scent. Good bite in the first hour. Great bite as the afternoon progresses.

Lived above the lake in one of those cool old fishing cabins for a couple years. Back then I'd kayak to the dam and drop a white jig or fly line shiners for a little of everything, crappie, LMB's, catfish. Seems everybody liked that white jig, an Asian guy out there turned me onto it and gave me a few, was bummed as hell when I lost the last one. Unfortunately I think they have a bouy line up now by the dam, before you could sit right by the dam and watch the bass chase the baitfish right up onto the dam, fun fishing!
    Last edited by seal; 04-11-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00388.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	43837Haven't fished there in a couple years ,but if the water is high enough we flipped the reeds along the entrance with 8"-10" worms . Spinner baits are good also jerk baits , we also used 3" grubs on dart heads . These 3" Castaic soft baits, not sure what they are called and hard to find worked great . Have also used them at Castaic and Pyramid , lost some really big fish on 6# . If your not in a boat I've seen some big fish caught on shore with crawdads . Good luck , I really like that lake .

I grew up fishing Hodges. Haven't fished it yet this year but from what I've heard, it's been a tough bite. Spinnerbaits and cranks work well this time of year and plastic worms have always done well for me there.