Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salton Sea Fishing Report and Video

1. Default Salton Sea Fishing Report and Video

Made the long trip to the Salton Sea for the first time. Never landed a tilapia before, figured it would be my best shot at catching one. Didn't run into any traffic, despite Coachella being in full swing. Fished the jetty near the Yacht Club for a couple of hours and landed 6 tilapia. I'm not really a bait 'n wait guy, but it was still fun. None of the fish were large but I saw several other anglers land many large fish.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT54Qj20-m0

Water was very murky. Still had an enjoyable time. Quite a few other anglers out there, many with buckets full of fish.

Food for thought: The Visitor Center at the State Park proudly proclaims that the fish in Salton Sea are safe to eat and the water is less polluted than Lake Tahoe.

Last edited by carpanglerdude; 04-13-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Yeah, it's a kind of lonely, creepy depressing place. Your music was perfect. Did you try any small shiny lures like spinners or spoons? They used to work really good for the larger fish, but there are just so many snags out there that you hang up a lot and end up losing stuff.

Cool vid,nice editing,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

hows the weather out there?? is it still manageable ? or to dayuum hot?

the first time I remember fishing at the salton sea was 1979 I was in the fifth grade was with my parents and the name of the game was corvina and we caught a bunch in those days there would be hundreds of boats out fishing every body slaying corvina
    we would use jigs and chum with corn to attract the bait fish.
    my dads buddie Bo would take the first corvina we caught that day and set it up with a milk jug and line and let it go so we could follow the school of fish worked great .
    I remember I think in the early 80's is when the talapia were introduced into the canals we used them for bait and a couple years later they were all over the sea .
    ive had to many fun times at the sea to count it may be one of the wierdest places on earth but i love it .
    try the canals for catfish and bass they can be good

Yeah just like Lake Tahoe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!!!!!!!!!

I don't miss any of it except the great Wheeling off in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Food for thought: The Visitor Center at the State Park proudly proclaims that the fish in Salton Sea are safe to eat and the water is less polluted than Lake Tahoe.
    See DockRat?

Fished the Sea last year. Started out at the Yacht Club and went zero for many casts. Moved down to the State Park paid the day fee and went to the picnic area. Some Outdoor fishing Channel was there videoing a show. It was slow for a short while and then whamo a solid bite on the big ones ( 2lbrs) lasted about on hour then slowed down to the little guys. Heat moved up to approx. 100 degrees so we packed up and drove home. No blowing sand however.

Carp, next time there find a place where you can cast out to the darker water deeper and you will get the bigger darker fish. Love that place fish it from the boat when I go Thanks for the video and report....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast